W95.CIH.Remnants.virus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Helia, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Hello
    My Son Downloaded A game from The Official Promotion wars Site Now I scanned it before I installed said all ok no Virus then when I installed it a pop up from norton said It found the W95.CIH.Remnants.Virus and repaired it.

What I want to know is do I have this virus still or did norton pick it up and fix it (said it repaired it)will it send to others,,,Also should I let him play that game or uninstall it get rid of it LOL
    Any help will be good I am doing a virus scan as I type this to be sure.
    Not familure with what norton does if its gets rid of it completly or will it still send out HELP

2. snowy

snowy Guest

there is a rule I follow...if its been infected..its got to go!

now this not not the attitude of most people...however, just as you are sitting there wondering what to do...I would be sitting wondering if the virus was REALLY removed....to me its just that worth the worry......

was it a free game....

3. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Yes So what do I now I want to make sure 100% that I dont have it.I will get rid of that darn game Now how can I be sure this virus is gone

4. snowy

snowy Guest

sorry...whenever I type while doing something else the words seem to get alittle scambled...I think you can understand the reply though......
    oh....if you un-install the game.....consider getting him another so the poor guy wont be disappointed

5. snowy

snowy Guest

Its not for me to answer your question....because their are others here are much better informed and can better advise you..........
    most likely the virus has been cleaned....if your anti virus is up to date etc..........but wait until someone more knowdgeable in this area replies........

6. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Ok Will do it said it was repaired I am just paranoid now dont want anyone else getting it due to me havig it thanks

hope someone can answer my question on if I still have it ect LOL
    thanks Snowy

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

W95.CIH.remnants is a detection that has been created specifically to detect remnants of W95.CIH in executable files. Even though the virus code is never executed, the file still contains remnants of the virus. This includes cases where the virus is in the file but the file runs as normal. In these cases, the virus will not execute at all. However, because the virus is in the file, it should be detected and the viral body should be removed.
    So I think you were never infected to begin with.

Regards,

Pieter

8. Helia

Helia Registered Member

It said it repaired it when it came up saying it had a virus so maybe its fixed

9. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Helia,

I´ll say this and then I´m going to dive for a safe corner. :D
    You can trust Norton.

There was no real danger to begin with. All Norton removed were remnants of an infection. So, you are safe.

If I never see you again, I´ve been Nodded ;)

Regards,

Pieter

10. Helia

Helia Registered Member

LOL
    thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.