w7/vista can't power off an external drive,is true?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

reading the feature of USB Safely Remove in this page

-http://safelyremove.com/fullFeaturesList.htm

there is:
    is it true ?

thanks
    cheers

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

By default Vista and windows 7 are designed not to power off your external usb devices. You can change this behavior in the "power options"

See here for details.

Keep in mind that most external usb drives are configured to power down after they have been idle for a certain time. This setting does not effect them. My WD usb drive powers off after 30 minutes, regardless of whether this option is enabled or disabled.

The usb safely remove info is something slightly different. They are talking about powering down your hard drives as soon as you safely remove them from within windows. You actually do not need to do that. Just safely remove the hard drive and then just disconnect the usb cable to power it off.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks RAza

and this setting in the power option force to power off the drive?

4. Raza0007

Try it, I am sure it will power off your external drive. However, it is usually meant for other usb devices like usb mice and keyboard etc. As I mentioned, your external drive should power off on its own after 30 minutes or so. It is configured in the drive's firmware. You can use this freeware HDDScan software to configure power management setting of your external drive.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    i have keyboard and mice usb
    what does refer with them?
    HDDScan crash often under w7 , and i don't know why..

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  6. Raza0007

The option is meant to turn the power off idle usb devices, any device. However, after a detailed look I do not think this will help with external usb hard drive. If you want to power off an external hard drive automatically, you will have to configure the hard drive's own parameters, using the hard drive manufacturer's utility or HDDScan.

I use HDDScan on windows 7 32-bit and it has worked fine for me. No crashes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.