VyprVPN Chameleon

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lepete11, Mar 26, 2016.

1. lepete11

lepete11 Registered Member

I am currently using VyprVPN in Windows 10 with the VyprVPN's Chameleon tunneling protocol. I have observed on many occasions that when looking at VyprVPN's transfer bar chart, there is a continual upload of data at the 2 MBps rate. (FYI - I use BitDefender 2015 Internet Security and keep it updated and run system scans daily; I also run MalwareByte's Beta Rootkit detector and haven't found anything).

Interestingly, yesterday I ran TCPView.exe (from MS) and observed that over a 5-minute period, Chameleon.exe registed about 2MB (i.e., ~2,000,000) under "Sent Bytes." Is there some reason why VyprVPN's Chameleon.exe program needs to send 2 MB of data somewhere? Is it an artifact due to the technology used? Any suggestions?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's probably 2Mbps, right? 2MB (16Mb) over five minutes (300 seconds) is 50Kbps. So maybe it spikes to 2Mbps. But anyway, VPNs use ping to keep the tunnel up and assess state. That's crucial for UDP tunnels, because UDP is a stateless protocol. Seeing 2MB of pings over five minutes isn't implausible. But I wouldn't expect to see 2Mbps spikes. More like 50Kbps-100Kbps.

Maybe something else if pushing traffic. Windows 10 does a lot of stuff. Anti-malware too, especially if it's uploading samples.

3. lepete11

lepete11 Registered Member

Okay, thanks, if I can figure out how to upload an image, I will upload a time-series bar chart with the upload rate(?)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.