vuno trojan

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stevenz, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenz

stevenz Registered Member

i had a vundo trojan infection.
    the only program that found it and completely removed it was malwarebytes antimalware.
    It is free too.
    come on eset.
    $50 a year for each pc,i want a lot better than that.

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello, it's repeating situation. No AV will catch "everything", because virus writters have got time advantage etc. Follow this post.

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Also notice that new Vundo variants appear everyday, and no antivirus can catch all of them. That's why you can run an anti-spyware along with NOD32, so that it can catch was NOD32 may eventually miss. And actually NOD32 isn't very good with spyware.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Perhaps you've confused adware with spyware? Still, I think that adware detection is decent. It'd be good to know what exactly you are refering to.

5. emperordarius

Generally it's not very good with adware and with vundos.I'm not saying it's bad, just not very good. But it's fine if you run it along with an anti-spyware.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hm, strange enough that we receive thousands of Vundo variants via ThreatSense that are detected by us and missed by almost all big players :) I admit that Microsoft has better detection, the question is whether it also triggers more false positives. There must always be a decent balance between detection sensitivity and false positives.

7. emperordarius

Well, regarding false positives, NOD32 makes really few:thumb:
    However, about Vundos, I don't doubt that you get that many variants, however to say the truth NOD32 has always had some problems with spyware.(I remember that it was like this since 2.7).this is what I mean. Of course that's a very uncommon scenario.

8. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

There is a problem with tester. :)

You have to run complete scan, the best in safe mode, and then run OS in normal mode.

When real-time scanner will scan files step-by-step and they will be detected, you will see this scenario. When there is a trojandownloader, other infected files will be downloaded. All depends on detection. For that I recommend use firewall, which detects these connections and denies them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.