VSS --> RSS

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I notice a lot of recommendations to switch FirstDefense from VSS, default of the latest version, to RSS, used by the original FirstDefense.

Since installing that latest version many months ago, I have just let FD do its thing and switch everything to VSS. Why are so many of you going back to RSS? Is VSS unstable or something?

If I switch back to RSS is there any possibility of hosing my FD or my system? So far, with VSS, everything has worked just fine. I have not tried using any mirror imaging programs since installing the latest version of FD, is this where some of you are having problems with VSS?

Thanks again, fellows.

Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes. ShadowProtect which is my imaging program of choice, uses VSS, and it and FDISR didn't play well together. Switching back to RSS solved the problem and also it's faster. No problems at all making ths switch.

pete

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, how does one find out if the imaging program(s) that one is using, is using VSS?

Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure what Acronis is using. When I ran it I always ran from a Bartpe disk so it really didn't matter.

Pete

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't think it's unstable, but just takes longer to initialise during copy/update process. In RSS mode, the open file technology starts automatically before it begins the indexing process. This is the reason I switched back to RSS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.