VSS and SQL Server 2005 - SP2 problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by koan00, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koan00

koan00 Registered Member

Hello,

I am running:

1) Windows 2003 server R2, 32 bit Enterprise Edition
    2) Acronis True Image Enterprise Server v9.1.3854
    3) MS SQL Server 2005

I recently updated my MS SQL Server 2005 installation to SP2. Since then when ever I do a backup with VSS support enabled, I get a tons of errors in the event log, regarding SQL server, when the backup runs. In one situation the machine completely locked up.

Is this a known issue and is there a work around or forthcoming fix?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. koan00

koan00 Registered Member

Attached is a screen shot of all of the errors generated.

Here is the text of one of the more descriptive ones:

Attached Files:

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Do the SQL Server logs give you any more information ?

F.

4. koan00

koan00 Registered Member

Hunting for log files shows:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG
    I'm more of a Unix admin so you'll have to forgive me: do you know where I can locate the "backup application log" ? Does this just mean acronis's log file? If so, it reveals nothing. Acronis thinks the backup went just fine.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  5. ParadingLunatic

ParadingLunatic Registered Member

I'm having this exact same problem. Has anyone found a fix for it yet? I noticed the thread only went on for the one day and then all activity died on it. I'm also in the exact same environment. I'm using the most recent version of True Image Enterprise Server, Windows Server 2003 R2 and SQL 2005 SP2.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello koan00 and ParadingLunatic,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that this issue is related to the changes, which were introduced in SP2 for MS SQL Server 2005. Currently our product uses Microsoft VSS technology only to prepare the databases for the data capture, and the data capture itself is performed by our own technology without use of VSS. The whole procedure of database backup is:
    1) Initialization of VSS
    2) VSS prepares the database for data capture
    3) VSS captures the data
    And since we don't need the 3rd step, our software stops VSS provider when databases are ready for data capture. This scheme worked well with all versions of MS SQL Server prior to 2005 SP2, but the new SP2 considers it as an unsuccessful backup attempt. And when the database preparation is over and Acronis True Image stops VSS, a new error message is appended to Event Log.

Currently you can safely ignore these messages (make sure Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server's own logs indicate that backing up was successful). Please note that most likely this issue will fixed in the next build.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. koan00

koan00 Registered Member

Sorry I didn't see your response. I worked with Acronis via their email support for a period of 2 months trying to get to the bottom of the issue. The response above sums up what I was ultimately told.

I'm not sure if I trust the advice yet (no offence - I just don't want to take any chances with my data). I plan on doing a VSS backup and then restore test once I have some more time. For now I just have pre/post backup commands setup to run a batch file that does "NET STOP..." and "NET START..." commands on the DB server (suggested by support).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.