vs Bitdefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Aeres och' Ddraig, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spm

spm Registered Member

Steve: My views on the value (or otherwise) of the VB tests have already been stated earlier in this thread. If you want to be really cynical, I'd research the frequency of the various A/Vs updates in the days approaching the (well publicised) dates of the tests, compared to their normal frequency. I haven't done this myself, and don't intend to. Buy you did talk about being cynical ... ;-)

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Most threats nowadays are not pure viruses even the last bigi mydoom had a trojan component,dont the VB 100 tests just test for viruses? which I feel can give a false sense of security,if you know the risks and limitations of the defences you install you can supplement them but if you are ignorant/new to computing/naive you can believe the advertising and think a product that passes the VB100 test COMPLETELY protects your PC against all the threats out there

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

No.

You're ignorant if you think that any product completely protects your PC against all the threats out there. So, just as is true for product vendors, it becomes a personal question of where you draw the line between "kitchen sink" and "prevalent threat" protection (at least for real-time monitoring).

4. Uran

Uran Registered Member

There are two big diferences betwen NOD32 and BitDefender...
    Firts quality which is at NOD32 and you can see this only after using those products for some time with many other applications on your PC... and the second it's promotional advertising which is at BitDefender...
    So... each of them has something :D

You can buy some old wine... because it's a brand for many years. You know that there's quality. Or you can buy something made this year... It's cheaper and after all you can drink it next year, maybe it's better ;)

5. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I dont really have anything bad to say about BitDefender in my brief experience with it. Perhaps the best thing to say when comparing the two is what tempnexus mentioned. And that is BitDefender has a free on demand scanner if you wish to use it with NOD.

As far as the VB tests go... I also have mixed feelings about it. I personally wish they would disclose more details about their test results, instead of only disclosing to subscribed members. On the other hand one should also remember that AV vendors submit their products to VB despite the possibility of receiving a failing grade... which does not sound like advertising to me.

6. steve1955

Nameless:- these are the types of claims that concern me:-(taken from Nod32 website)
    Viruses, worms, trojans and other malware are kept out of striking distance of your valuable data. Advanced detection methods implemented in the software even provide protection against the future threats from most of the new worms and viruses.
    The fourth generation of the NOD32 Antivirus System features a fully integrated software suite characterized by an unprecedented detection track record, the fastest scanning rates and extremely low utilization of system resources.
    I know and I'm sure you know that complete protection can never be guaranteed,either using a single product or a multi layered defence,but to somebody just starting to explore the world of computers(who may be ignorant)could be lead to believe that they are completely covered by the first sentence from the above,most vendors are equally guilty just used Nod as an example.

7. steve1955

Rerun2 if you want to view the"wild list" that virus bulletin use for their tests:-
    http://www.wildlist.org/

8. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Thank you for the link steve1955,

What I meant in my previous post was information regarding why a certain AV failed, whether it be false positive or for some reason it did not meet the criteria set by VB.

9. steve1955

Rerun2 I think this site will prove interesting after 14th:-
    http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=62&mnu=62
    cheers Steve

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gents,

This is the NOD32 support forum aimed at providing support, and not a contest forum.

For that reason I have moved this thread to the appropriate forum.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.