VPS where /dev/random produces a lot of truly random data

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Ulysses_, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

Does a VPS exist where /dev/random produces a LOT of truly random data? In other words, one where the hardware includes a true number generator?

Alternatively, does a hosting provider exist that gives you the equivalent in PHP scripts or whatever is easy to utilise in a web page?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You can try installing haveged to generate ~randomness. It may not work for all virtualization hosts.

I'm not sure what you mean about PHP. Just about any hosting provider will have PHP.

3. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

So PHP always has access to the true random generator hardware then?

How about this: a PHP script that accesses some online radio station and extracts the least significant bit from the stream and calls it a true random number. 44000 random bits per second is more than enough for my purposes.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I don't know. VMs generally don't have direct access to any hardware, so they can't use that as a source of randomness. Typing and mouse movement are key sources. And headless VMs have no mouse.

But anyway, as I said, try haveged. It works well enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.