VPN x1 & x6 Speed Discrepency.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Taliscicero, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Has anyone else ran into similar problems using VPN services? I have the same problem on OpenVPN UDP always with any service. I don't have any problems on TCP, speed is reduced by about 50% which is not preferable though. It is not packet loss as this has been tested by myself thoroughly.

Here is a screenshot of my issue, and a recent test.

( http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/137401461327732664378.png )

I always have around 3Mbps down x1 and around 18-20Mbps down x6. I am not sure why for single downloads the speed is reduced so much. I get full speed out of torrents but on single downloads get the reduced speeds.

Any idea?

2. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have the same problem when using AT&T dsl. When using a VPN, my download speeds have been reduced by about 2/3.

Is there anyway to correct this behavior?

3. Taliscicero

I have no problem other then the reduced speed while using TCP OpenVPN. Slower speeds with TCP is normal and should be expected. UDP OpenVPN however should not have the reduced single download speeds I'm experiencing, and if you have the same problem with UDP traffic I'm having then there has to be an explanation.

4. Taliscicero

I guess nobody has any ideas.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, I don't have an answer, but ...

Is compression enabled?

Also, I find this thread about MTU: -http://stackoverflow.com/questions/276058/what-is-the-optimal-size-of-a-udp-packet-for-maximum-throughput

6. Taliscicero

Any way for me to check? I know with BolehVPN/Mullvad/IVPN I get the same issue with UDP.

7. mirimir

Default openvpn configuration files (.conf or .ovpn) typically have compression enabled, and that's better for UDP (as I read it).

The MTU link was just a wild stab, but at least there's some interesting discussion.

Maybe a good place to start is looking at the openvpn log files from x1 and x6 tests. To get useful logs, you'll first need to edit the openvpn configuration file, changing "verb 3" (typically) to "verb 5". Look for anything where the x1 and x6 logs differ.

8. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Comcast is supposedly throttling port 443 according to Air. Maybe others are as well? Try 53 or 80?

PD

9. mirimir

Throttling would affect the VPN connection overall, not individual traffic streams routed through it. So I don't think that could be causing the x1 vs x6 discrepancy.

Throttling by the VPN or its ISP could be doing it, but consistency across different VPNs seems unlikely.

10. Taliscicero

I tried messing with MTU even setting it from 1500 -> 1300. It's still the same. I'm from the UK so not using Comcast. I have also tried many different ports. I really can't find anything that works and have no idea why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.