VPN split-tunneling for Bittorrent/ individual applications

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by spongepipe, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spongepipe

spongepipe Registered Member

Please don't shoot me down for asking! I've only just started looking at VPNs and experimenting with using them.

One thing I'm wondering is, is it possible to use 'split-tunneling' with a VPN connection so that particular applications - say, Bittorrent, for example - use the VPN connection, whilst other traffic (web, email etc.) use the normal gateway?

2. spongepipe

spongepipe Registered Member

Any ideas, people?

3. box750

box750 Registered Member

You could do that easily with a SSH tunnel, but I don't know of any SSH tunnelling provider that will allow bit torrent. Maybe Guardster high end product does, but it costs $20/month, while Cotse is only $6/month.

4. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

IMHO, don't mess with SSH. You can run your VPN and torrent client in a VM, and use a TrueCrypt disk (file or hidden partition) for storage. If you're really paranoid, you can also run the VM from a TrueCrypt disk. And BTW, putting the VM host on a TrueCrypt disk can be tricky, because some run as services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.