VPN Issue

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zeddjb, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeddjb

zeddjb Registered Member

I'm new to both ESET and VPN's. I really like ESET and I don't want to uninstall it.

My problem is this:

I use the built-in Microsoft VPN server. When ESET firewall is enabled, traffic can not come through the VPN server; however, as soon as I disable the firewall, traffic can resume. I'm not exactly sure how to set up the rules to use VPN. I did set up one rule to allow ports 500 & 1723 through but that didn't seem to help.

Any help with this would be great.

2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

try putting the firewall in interactive mode and let it learn the application - remember to allow and save your choices.

3. zeddjb

zeddjb Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The firewall is in interactive already. By default, it is in automatic mode and for that reason I checked some of the rules that were automatically created. I disabled all of them and then tried the VPN connection again and still nothing.

Anything else maybe you can think of?

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If its a Static incoming IP addy you can make a rule for it to Allow/Allow All. but this only works if the IP addy don't change every time you use the computer.

5. zeddjb

zeddjb Registered Member

It is a static IP since I run a few different services such as FTP, VNC and VPN now.

Above I did explain that I made a rule to allow ports 500 & 1723 ( vpn ports ) to allow them both ways. I don't want to open all ports to that IP because I don't want it to become a honeypot.

I also disabled all all the current rules just to make sure any rules weren't created to block it without me knowing; but that didn't help.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Interesting.. I have VNC on my server as well as VPN. its letting me Thur just fine. I cant think of why yours is not. there has to be a rule set we are missing.

Just out of curiosity is the other computer behind a Network or router Firewall. that is off your system that could be conflicting I know you said it works with Eset Firewall disabled but im wondering when its enabled maybe something that eset needs is bein blocked by the other firewall. its a long shot but worth a look.

I also found this port online that Microsoft says is needed for outbound. on VPN Networks

add port 443 to 443 to the TCP outbound

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  7. zeddjb

zeddjb Registered Member

It is behind a router/firewall. I took it off that and connected directly through my gateway and it still does not want to connect.

As for the rules, I did disable all of them and also tried it thinking that there might have been one automatically created, but still nothing.

But like you said, you have both VNC and a VPN and you are getting it to work just fine. I'm not running a domain, just a simple 5 computer workgroup. The Windows Firewall is disabled; I use dyndns.org for a DNS. The problem has to be in ESET somewhere, I don't think it would be a zone setting.

I really appreciate you helping me out with this. Even if we don't find an answer at leaste we tried :D

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If you Google vpn and firewalls you will find out very quickly you are not alone. :doubt:

9. zeddjb

zeddjb Registered Member

Indeed, but I cannot find a decent bit of help from any of those sites. In fact, I looked through there before I came here to try and figure it out.

I'll just keep at it until I find a solution. If this thread stays open, I'll post a solution when I come to it. If you find one or anymore ideas, feel free to email me: zedd@charter.net.

Thanks

10. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Just wanted to add something

I use openvpn and can't connect either. Only way to do it is turning off eset firewall, connect and turn it on again - than it works here

Dynamic IP

Ruben

11. tosbsas

Again

05.09.2008 17:38:14 Communication denied by rule 192.168.12.10:138 192.168.12.11:138 UDP Block outgoing NETBIOS requests System NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM
    05.09.2008 17:38:14 Communication denied by rule 192.168.12.10:137 192.168.11.4:137 UDP Block NETBIOS Name Service requests System NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM
    05.09.2008 17:38:14 Communication denied by rule 192.168.12.10:137 192.168.11.4:137 UDP Block NETBIOS Name Service requests System NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM

this is what I get when interactive filtering is enabled, on automatic I get the same, but I can connect

automatic
    05.09.2008 17:52:29 Communication denied by rule 192.168.12.10:137 192.168.11.4:137 UDP Block NETBIOS Name Service requests System NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM
    05.09.2008 17:52:27 Communication denied by rule 192.168.12.10:137 192.168.11.4:137 UDP Block NETBIOS Name Service requests System NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM
    05.09.2008 17:52:26 Communication denied by rule 192.168.12.10:137 192.168.11.4:137 UDP Block NETBIOS Name Service requests System NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM
    05.09.2008 17:52:20 Communication denied by rule 192.168.12.10:137 192.168.11.4:137 UDP Block NETBIOS Name Service requests System NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM

Ruben

12. tosbsas

why is there no answer from eset here? So far support has been spotless

Ruben

13. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

cant connect to standard windows pptp vpn here with ess on client..

comes up with "Error 800" and then tried to redial..

as soon as i disable ess firewall, VPN is fine

this is on interactive mode.. there is no pop ups of any kind.. it just gets blocked

14. zeddjb

zeddjb Registered Member

I am still having the same problem and I have not found a solution. I have contacted ESET and they helped me twice with emails, but then just stopped. I'm not very impressed by the customer support and as a result I will probably not use ESET ever again.

I do not have the time to figure out this problem myself as I work full time and go to school full time. I hope someone can find an answer and post it here. I will periodically check back in hopes some has.

Thanks and sorry

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sorry bro. I wish I had more Answers but I don't. sense the last we chatted I have changed AV's my self so am unable to help you feather bro sorry. :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.