VPN fast enough for streaming US content?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by nuphorce, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuphorce

nuphorce Registered Member

Hi,

I'm trying to stream Hulu and Netflix from outside the US but my current VPN Astrill is not fast enough and the stream keeps stopping to buffer (I've tried 5 of their LA/east coast servers). I've tested a non-geo blocked stream and it plays since so it's not my connection.

Can anyone recommend a faster VPN that can handle streaming better? I've read VyprVPN is fast? Privacy etc are not too important to me, it's just for video content.

Any help would be great

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Try AirVPN. They're the fastest that I've used, by far.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Ditto.

On AIR I pull about 12 meg consistently on the US servers when I connect there. I don't usually join the US servers, from within the US, but I do sometimes.

fyi - my raw connection is about 40 meg almost always.

4. mirimir

On a 50Mbps/10Mbps link, I get 10-20Mbps/3-5Mbps with AirVPN.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Not VPN's (I think), but Media Hint and Hola Unblocker works fast for me.

6. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

It's common to only get 10-20Mbps? What I'm asking is are VPN's generally limited to a maximum speed of 20Mbps and could never reach 100Mbps even if the user had a connection that fast? I only have a 14Mbps connection and get about 13Mbps. I am wondering if 20mbps is a logical limit for most services?

7. tuprofe

tuprofe Registered Member

I have a 50Mbps/25Mbps connection to the internet and with Mullvad I routinely get the full download pipe when using bit torrent, seeing download speeds of around 6.3MB/s. I'm located in the US. Not sure if that would translate for other protocols or locations, but I've been very impressed with the performance of this VPN.

8. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

The 12 meg I get while on AIR VPN allows for streaming video without any flinches. Plus I cannot remember the last time my connection dropped or even hesitated. I'm sure it must happen but if it does I never notice it. I sign on to around 15 of their servers (out of around 30) and move around often. Its just what I do. LOL!

9. mirimir

Wow, I'm impressed!

The throughput numbers that I quoted were from speedtest. Torrenting would probably push it higher.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. mirimir

There's no logical limit, except the CPU load imposed by VPN encryption. Doing 100Mbps with 2048-bit encryption is real work ;)

And consider it from the provider's perspective. Look at -https://airvpn.org/status/ for example. They currently have 4,424 users, with 22,700 Mbps total throughput, or 5.13 Mbps each on average. The fastest user is getting 52.48 Mbps, and has been connected for almost six days!

11. tuprofe

tuprofe Registered Member

I believe you're right. When I check my Mullvad connection on speedtest.net, I consistently see between 5-20Mbps down/8-15Mbps up. I also tried out Airvpn (paid for a 4-day trial) and was closely comparing it to Mullvad during the entire trial. I would see similar results with both VPNs from speedtest.net.

However, with both VPNs the speeds picked up significantly when downloading via bit torrent, especially after waiting a few minutes for all peers to kick in.

12. box750

box750 Registered Member

I can stream US video content with just 1MB and it works fine. If you are having problems and the speed is over 1MB it could be the ping rate and not the speed, it is not all about speed.

I get great speed using VPN4ALL Hong Kong server but it is so far from my country that the ping rate makes it unusable to watch videos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.