VPN Basics

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by beethoven, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I used them before I tried Nord. Had an issue, but don't even remember what at this point.

2. snerd

snerd Registered Member

I've been using PIA for over a year now, good to go. Easy, and a lot of servers worldwide.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

That is cool. I have a bit of a conundrum though. I use OpenDNS for content filtering which I won't be able to use with the VPN. Hmm. Decisions decisions.

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

The "super star" VPNs usually have great yearly rates and especially if you watch for specials that come along a few times a year. If you score a special they will be as cheap or even less than those "no name" VPN providers. There is a large gap between the best and no name services when it comes to secure systems. I won't highlight my fav's but simply refer you to the preferred provider list that circulates around here (multiple lengthy threads). Any of the top 5 are great! I will say that I personally sift for those that specialize in TRUE linux support, and demonstrate thorough understanding of how linux differs from Windows in their setups. With my personal dedication and quality control on their end, linux is a fortress compared to other approaches. Just how it is.

5. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I think you sais you use Mint? I do too as a secondary OS but I would most likely install a VPN in Windows for now. I find Linux distros have come along way with good hardware support now days.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Some VPN services provide custom clients that block leaks. Leaks if the uplink gets interrupted. And DNS leaks. And you can use firewall and routing rules to block leaks with any VPN service, using any software. It's probably best to stick with OpenVPN-based VPNs. IPsec can be very good too, but it can also be crap if implemented poorly. PPTP is always crap.

7. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do you do it, Pete? I bank with a very large US bank and whenever I use a vpn, they catch it and block me -- whether close to home (one state away) or not. Every time it happens, I have to go through their verification process -- which is a little annoying.:)

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

@TomAZ -- Maybe your bank just sees an IP change, and flags. Or maybe they're using blocklists.

9. Peter2150

As long as I am in the states I don't have a problem. My bank is all over the us. But if I go to even a canadian server, they also do a challenge.

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

While I have no way of knowing for sure, I'm also thinking it might be the IP address change. So, if that's the case, how do you get around that with a VPN?

My bank is all over the US as well - the largest bank in the country, I believe -- but that doesn't matter much -- they seem to able to detect any and all computer changes and nail me every time. I usually have to temporarily disable everything -- do my banking -- and then re-enable again.

11. Peter2150

Not sure you can. If you keep your original IP, then it is you. You may just to have to go thru the verification process so they know it's you. I always use the same nord server so it doesn't change.

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

13. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Do you happen to know if Nord offers any kind of Trial plan? I always like to try before I buy -- not sure what's compatible with my old XP system.:)

14. Minimalist

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

16. anon

anon Registered Member

17. boredog

boredog Registered Member

18. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

19. anon

anon Registered Member

20. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

21. illumination

illumination Guest

22. Cache

Cache Registered Member

It's not just you! :D

23. Minimalist

Yes, author suggests to use google account just for this purpose, unrelated to your real name or your real google account.

24. illumination

illumination Guest

This is fine if all your doing is random searches. At the moment you need to access sites/accounts, where you have had to use your real name to register, or have used credit cards, then this becomes useless much like a VPN in these same circumstances.

The only use I have for VPN is "malware testing" as it places "their" sever in between me and a potential attack.

25. Minimalist

I agree. I also don't share or use PII over VPN.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.