Voice Mail Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

Have not seen this asked before......simply put is voice mail secure (what is these days LOL)

being a person who shuns e mail use...I am curious about the security regarding voice mail..(wav files) frankly in my entire use of the internet I may have used e mail 20 times.......would have no idea how to send a file....so comments most welcomed......thanks

snowman

2. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Snowy
    You mean sending an attached file ? Well....encrypted file might be very secure..? No matter what kind of file it is.

3. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

QUALCOMM Incorporated's PureVoice Technology
    What is behind the PureVoice and SmartRate technologies?
    Is PureVoice a standard?
    PureVoice technology is a standard in CDMA cellular technology. It will also be included in upcoming versions of Eudora software.

What are PureVoice and SmartRate?
    PureVoice and SmartRate are voice coding technologies developed by QUALCOMM Incorporated for use with wireless telephony applications, and in particular, digital cellular telephones. But they work great with email, too!

High compression
    PureVoice technology compresses an incoming speech signal to its most compact digital format.

High fidelity sound, too
    We want small files, but we want it to sound good too. SmartRate technology allows higher compression factor without any significant degradation of the voice quality.
    How much signal compression does PureVoice offer?
    10 times smaller than .wav files
    When used on the Internet and with personal computers, PureVoice technology can reduce file size and transmission time by more than a factor of ten, compared to other common formats, such as .wav format or the Macintosh .snd format.

Compare .wav files to PureVoice files

Compare a typical one minute voice mail message in a .wav or .snd file to a PureVoice file.

.wav file
    A .wav file would take up about 1MB and take over 7 minutes to transmit using a 28.8kpbs modem.

.PureVoice file (.qcp)
    The same voice mail coded with PureVoice would be less than 100KB and take less than 45 seconds to transmit using the same modem speed. For the same example, SmartRate technology will require storage of 60KB and transmit time of 30 seconds.

Just to be safe
    Note that both PureVoice and SmartRate are variable-rate speech encoders and the actual amount of compression will be more or less than the compression factor quoted in the above example, depending on the input speech pattern. The numbers quoted above are conservative estimates for typical conversational speech.
    http://www.cdmatech.com/solutions/products/purevoice_technology.html

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Primrose

most appreciate the info......thank you....an for your time in replieing......will look into this.

Krusty

very good idea......thanks.......last night I installed a super nice encryption program that would that nicely......an reading the info by Primrose.......perhaps zipping the file would be of some help...........just considering voice mail.....haven't decided yet. e mail is one area I totally dislike......an list it as a spam virus.....LOL....just kidding.

snowman

5. snowy

snowy Guest

Primrose

the voice mail I was considering has this:

"GSM compression - with this feature you can reduce the size of the e-mail message up to 10 times. This makes you able to send your voice messages over the Net 10 times faster!!!
    The compression is the same as the one used by your GSM cell phone, when transmitting your conversations. "

could you possibly comment on its value.....thanks.

Krusty

You have given me some wonderful ideas recently....as we shared posts.......thanks. it does confuse me when you add (?) at the end of your sentence......thus the reason I perhaps over commented a couple of times......hope you will be understanding of my error there.

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.