VMWare workstation

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by lodore, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I am terribly sorry to cause this. Nothing like this happened to me when I did it. But since I keep on tinkering with my system anyway, so I may have done something before deleting the vmware account so nothing like this happened. It was about a year ago so I do not remember exactly what was on my mind then.

Just reinstall Vmware over the previous installation, it will take only a couple of minutes and will preserve your previous settings. Then you may follow the instruction here to enable automatic windows logon.

Please, do backup or make a system restore point before doing the procedure mentioned in the above link.

Once again, sorry for causing inconvenience.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

No, you shouldn't really delete them because of "user" privileges, assigned user rights to VMware User, think how vmware works with network, devices, memory...although as Raza pointed out you can delete vmware_user, Workstation will still run.

edit: seems somehow I missed the last two posts, you can add a vmware_user manually although reinstalling will take care of things.

group: __vmware__ user: __vmware_user__

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

No need to apologize,i'm the one to blame here because i didn't follow your advice and i didn't made a backup.So it's all on me.:)

I've done this and it worked,so no re-install.
    Thank you both guys :thumb:

4. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I've never had any problem testing CIS in Vbox. What kind of problem(s) are you talking about?

Thanks.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s well known. I found HIPS module not interrcepting many actions, using win 7 in VBox on Ubuntu.

6. CogitoTesting

Well, I never experienced that problem and I'm using LinuxMint as my main operating system. Like I said I have tested CIS using Vbox and the test went flawlessly. I have never had any issue whatsoever with Vbox except with Kaspersky. Now they have fixed the issue and I was able to test Kaspersky 2012 using Vbox.

Thanks.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Out of curiosity I tried it again. Much lighter as compared to Vmware but still Comodo doesn,t work on it. :thumbd:

I have ubuntu meverik beta as host and win 7 as guest. CIS in proactive mode and tried AKLT, CIS can,t intercept keylogging by AKLT.

Wish Vbox people fix it. I made a thread on their forums many months ago but of it was no avail. very sad indeed. :'(

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sigh both have compatibility problems. VirtualBox doesn't work with a few software. VMware Player doesn't support Ubuntu Unity and Windows 8.

How much lighter is it in terms of background processes?

9. CogitoTesting

Please try LunixMint as host.

Thanks.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What does that have to do with anything he said? Comodo is a Windows software.

11. BG

BG Registered Member

Hope I'm not taking away from original thought here but does the latest Workstation support pci-e passthrough?

12. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Good question, I've only dabbled with passthrough - VMDirectPath in server environment, ESX/ESXi, vSphere but haven't got around to installing Workstation 8 on my productive machine - the only thing I found in the docs was of course USB passthrough. Anyone?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried last RC version of comodo on windows 7 in Vbox with latest ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 as host and got a pleasant surprise, it seems to work OK. I am not sure if it,s really true or I am making a mistake.

o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.