VMWare and bootable rescue disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by amueller, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amueller

amueller Registered Member

Hello,

I am attempting to recover an image to a VMWare Virtual Machine. My problem appears to be that Acronis doesn't actually create a real bootable disk. My guess is that it creates a disk and then modifies the boot.ini file or something like that.

So - basically, I cannot recover the image to my Virtual Machine because it can't boot from the 'bootable media' that is created.

Any help??

Thanks,

Andrew

2. vinicius.frezza

vinicius.frezza Registered Member

Strange, because i'm booting my virtual machine with a boot cd created with acronis. Have you pressed "Esc" when the virtual machine is starting and select CD-ROM Drive ? Are you sure about your Virtual CD-ROM is connected to physical CD-ROM ? or it is linked to .ISO image.

I hope this can be usefull

Best Regards

3. amueller

amueller Registered Member

OK... I found the problem. I had my second CD (DVD) still plugged in through Firewire. That made it not boot.

NOW - I still cannot restore, though :( I don't know why. It just won't let me select the unpartitioned space.

I created the VMWare image by creating a MS-DOS image with a 45GB drive. (suggested by a document on an internet site).

Then, when restoring, it failed on the final selection of the unpartitioned space. It was greyed out and unselectable.

Is there another better method to do this??

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello amueller,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions supports imaging of a virtual machines.

If you encounter any problems while using Acronis True Image to backup a particular physical computer(s) then please feel free to submit a request for technical support or report any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.