Vivaldi Desktop Browser Stable Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by anon, Jan 12, 2023.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 6.5.3206.42

Minor update for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 6.5
    This update includes a security fix from Chromium upstream to handle CVE-2023-7024.
    December 22, 2023
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/minor-update-6-5/

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Vivaldi 6.5 is actually one of their better releases, it fixed a couple of problems from 6.4, it feels faster and has added a mouse gesture for switching between workspaces. Sadly enough it still hangs in memory when closing.

4. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 6.5.3206.50

Minor update (3) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 6.5
    This update includes security improvements from the Chromium project and a range of other fixes.
    January 5, 2024
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/minor-update-three-6-5/

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

this is same as every browser hangs on closing: its blocked while writing back data or pointless injections.
    Checkout your futile security software.

6. Rasheed187

Wrong, none of my security tools that I'm currently using inject code into the browser. It's caused by some design mistake in Vivaldi, because I had no problems with Vivaldi 6.1, the problem started in 6.4 and 6.5, with the exact same configuration. Multiple users have reported that this hanging in memory started with 6.4, so it's something that Vivaldi should fix eventually.

I forgot to say that Viv 6.5 sadly enough introduced an annoying bug, if your bookmark nickname is only a single character, Vivaldi will search for it in Google, instead of going to the nicknamed URL, extremely annoying.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  7. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 6.5.3206.55

Minor update (5) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 6.5
    This update includes various security improvements from the Chromium project, including a a patch for the CVE-2024-0519 zero day, plus a couple of other fixes.
    January 17, 2024

8. Rasheed187

I'm guessing they have still not fixed the annoying bug with nicknames yet in this version. I don't know why they didn't just simply release Vivaldi 6.6, where they have fixed it from what I've heard.

9. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 6.5.3206.57

Minor update (6) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 6.5
    This update includes various security improvements from the Chromium project and a few other fixes elsewhere.
    January 24, 2024
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/minor-update-six-6-5/

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 6.5.3206.59

Minor update (7) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 6.5
    This update includes various security improvements from the Chromium project.
    January 31, 2024
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/minor-update-seven-6-5/

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Does anyone know of any tips and tricks with Vivaldi browser? Thank you.

12. longshots

longshots Registered Member

Speaking of the "recycle bin" [Show Closed Tabs] wouldn't it be nice if someone at Vivaldi had a great idea and moved the Clear All option to the top.

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

That's a good idea.

14. longshots

It's one of a few that Vivaldi could look at, but it's unlikely, as they are becoming very narcissistic in their attitude.
    Who removes a home page link from a tool baro_O
    Instead of giving us the option to remove it they gave us the middle finger and made us go through a process to restore it.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 6.5.3206.61

Minor update ( 8 ) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 6.5
    February 7, 2024
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/minor-update-eight-6-5/

16. JaneN

JaneN Registered Member

While the menu is open, you can press the C key to clear all entries.

17. longshots

Thank you. That does help.

No response to homepage link?

18. JaneN

JaneN Registered Member

It's been a while since that change, but as far as I remember, with the introduction of fully customizable toolbars and the Toolbar Editor we did simplify the default layouts a little too. I'm sure the designers had very good reasons for keeping, moving and removing certain buttons. If someone had already edited their toolbars in some way, it stayed that way. We only updated the toolbar for people, who still used the default layout.

It's impossible to meet the needs of every user out of the box and that's why Vivaldi has so many customization options and settings, so the browser could adapt to you not the other way around. That way, even when the defaults change, you still have the option to customize the browser according to your preferences.

19. longshots

You don't see the irony in that? Oh, but it seems you do.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the fact that you are just the messenger, and have taken the time to answer my questions.

20. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 6.5.3206.63

Minor update (9) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 6.5
    February 14, 2024
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/minor-update-nine-6-5/

21. Rasheed187

Good to see you back again! Are you also active on Vivaldi's forum? And do you know when Vivaldi 6.6 is going to be released? I hope they will fix a couple of very annoying bugs, related to the addressbar (bookmark nicknames) and Vivaldi's performance. Because of these problems I'm still using Viv 6.1, all problems started with newer versions.

22. Rasheed187

I forgot to reply. But my tips would be to use tab stacking, handy if you are using many tabs. You can also use Workspaces, for example I have a workspace for websites related to stock trading, so I can remain focused. You can make a mouse gesture to switch between workspaces. You can find these settings via vivaldi://settings/tabs/.

And another general tip: make sure to install Vivaldi as a standalone version (in Documents folder), so that you can have several versions side by side. If some new version has some annoying bug, you can always switch to your old version without having to reconfigure it all over again. It's almost the same as portable versions, except it won't run from USB stick, so you can't use it on other devices. Let me know if you have any other questions.

23. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

There is "Vivaldi Tips", "A huge collection of Vivaldi browser tips, tricks and hacks".
    https://tips.vivaldi.net/
    430 tips, so far.
    There is no structure as in Vivaldi Help, so you'd need to go through all Vivaldi Tips to see if there's something for you.

I have no personal tips and tricks for Vivaldi. I'm a strict Firefox user, with some interest in Vivaldi for if the need would arise.

24. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

25. Rasheed187

Too bad that those tips are for all platforms, so they are not divided. And you must take a look at Vivaldi, in my view it's way better than Firefox. I recently spend 30 minutes trying to put the tabbar on bottom via some CSS hack in Firefox, but it still didn't work. I still don't understand why they killed the excellent Tab Mix Plus extension.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_Mix_Plus

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.