Vivaldi Desktop Browser Stable Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by anon, Jan 12, 2023.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

2. anon

anon Registered Member

Vivaldi 5.6.2867.58

Minor update (4) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 5.6
    This update includes security fixes from the Chromium project and several crash fixes.
    January 11, 2023
    https://vivaldi.com/blog/desktop/minor-update-four-5-6/

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Updated me on W7P64 to 5.6.2867.58 (Stable channel) (64-bit). Weird I wasn't supposed to receive any more updates. Unusual update process too. Got notification to update on my Taskbar. Thought what the heck & went through with the update. But upon receiving the Restart prompt just got a blank Vivaldi page, Vivaldi didn't load. Shutdown my PC & waited a couple minutes. Started my PC & Vivaldi loaded as usual & now I have 5.6.2867.58 (Stable channel) (64-bit).

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I always update manually, it works just fine. This version has hopefully fixed the ''windows size'' bug on Win 7 and 8. And hopefully the performance hit (high CPU and RAM usage) when bookmarking a website has also been fixed, but I doubt it. Haven't bookmarked a page in 2 weeks because of this bug, believe it or not.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Any insight why my W7P64 was allowed to update?

6. Rasheed187

I don't get it, why wouldn't it? And about my problems with slow performance when bookmarking websites, turns out that Vivaldi can't deal with a huge bookmarks file. I have scaled down from 5000 to about 800 bookmarks and the problem has disappeared. They also fixed the problem on Win 7/8 with Vivaldi having the wrong window size.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Chromium ended updates for Windows under W10. And Vivaldi is based on Chromium.

8. Rasheed187

9. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

10. JaneN

JaneN Registered Member

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

That link doesn't crash for me either on Vivaldi

12. khanyash

Deleting browser data solved the problem.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Does anyone know if there's a way to move the new tab button? Currently it's always to the right of the last tab and next to the "X" that closes the tab. I'd like to move it further to the right and get it out of the way, but I'm not seeing a setting for changing the position.

14. Rasheed187

It also doesn't close for me, but I have seen similar problems in the past with Vivaldi, never quite understood this.

I don't think this is possible.

I have a new idea, why not add a feature similar to OneTab to Vivaldi? It's especially handy when you have opened quite a lot of tabs and you need to free up RAM. By integrating it into Vivaldi you could expand features like only sending certain tab stacks to OneTab. This will quickly free up RAM.

https://www.one-tab.com

15. khanyash

The problem is back. The link works after deleting browser data. Today, Vivaldi is crashing again when I'm accessing the link.

16. JaneN

JaneN Registered Member

I'm not very familiar with OneTab unfortunately, but we do have Saved Sessions and I'm guessing Reading List could also be used for similar effect.

Please report the bug on https://vivaldi.com/bugreport and make sure to share the URL of the page it occurs on. Our testers and devs will take a look.

Jane / Team Vivaldi

17. Rasheed187

You should take a look at the OneTab extension, it works in a simple but different way, not comparable to Saved Sessions and the Reading List. Basically, it will let you save a list of opened tabs to an HTML webpage. This helps to reduce RAM usage and to reduce clutter, handy if you have opened let's say 50+ tabs and multiple tab stacks.

I personally don't like to use the Hibernate Tabs function to free up RAM. And I hate having to use the sidebar, so now that I think of it, why not also make Reading List tab-based? It could perhaps work similar to how bookmarks and history is presented. I always open bookmarks and history in separate tabs.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Cool tool it is :thumb:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/onetab/chphlpgkkbolifaimnlloiipkdnihall/related

19. anon

anon Registered Member

20. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

"[Chromium] Upgraded to 108.0.5359.216"

This might be why on W7P64 I'm still allowed to update.

21. Rasheed187

To clarify, it's not that I use it THAT much, but in certain scenarios it's quite handy. It also depends a bit on your browsing habits. I often open a couple of sites, and then I will open articles in the background that I will later read, of course I do use tab stacking.

But sometimes I only have 1GB RAM left because of the 50+ tabs, and it would be very handy to simply send (and close) certain tab stacks to OneTab. I prefer this to hibernating tabs, because with OneTab's approach you have less clutter and more control about websites that you want to visit at a later time.

22. Rasheed187

BTW, I don't know what's going on, but lately Vivaldi is behaving strangely. This is another reason why it would be cool if certain features were built into Vivaldi, because who knows if extensions might make Vivaldi unstable.

Just a couple of minutes ago I somehow lost all of my opened tab stacks, and ''startup with Last Session'' didn't work, which isn't a surprise since all tabs were closed. So now that I think of it, perhaps Vivaldi can make an automatic snapshot in the background of opened tabs, every few minutes.

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

My Tabs have been rearranging themselves. Weird.

24. Rasheed187

Can you give some more info? What happened to me is that somehow I managed to open a new Vivaldi window, but all other tabs in the first Vivaldi window (50+ tabs) were closed in a matter of seconds. And I couldn't restore them.

So I don't know if this was some type of browser crash or that I somehow gave some command with my mouse, but this has never happened to me before. Also, yesterday I saw two uBlock Origin icons in the extensions bar, so something is not right. Hopefully I'm not hacked LOL.

25. Rasheed187

Just a follow up, you won't believe it, but I can see the 79 tabs that were closed by mistake in my last session via the ''recycle bin'' button in the right bottom corner of Vivaldi. It's listed as ''Window with 79 Tabs.'' Never seen anything like this before. Anybody knows how to restore them, all in once? I think this might have been a case of user error, but how the heck did they end up there? :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.