Vista64 HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Stephen2_Aus, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen2_Aus

Stephen2_Aus Registered Member

I feel naked without my ProSecurity running on my new Vista64 machine. In fact, I can barely use any security software which is not sitting well with me.

Can anyone tell me if any of the HIPS products out there work on Vista64?

*EDIT* In fact, any kind of sandbox software would be welcome too. SandboxIE doesn't work, does SafeSpace? Geswall? DefenseWall?

P.S. I've used the SEARCH function and couldn't get any information, sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks heaps!!

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think PRSC/NAB and HauteSecure work.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Win Patrol works and is x64 compatible. Its basic HIPS but its free and works well nonetheless with minimal resources.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

GesWall ..... hmm , I am not sure. U might check their site/ forums etc.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Real Vista64 bits aps are Comodo (with D+ as clasical HIPS) and Haute Secure (browser software sandbox), With LUA (or LUA in quiet mode with Tweak UAC and the icacls command, you are quite safe, see http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1887/2)

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes -- Comodo Firewall Pro version 3 is Vista ready, both 32 & 64. Otherwise -- rots of ruck.

7. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

like bellgamin and others have said comodo works fine (and is pretty powerful). honestly comodo is your best bet. an excellent firewall and powerful hips that doesn't devour your system resources. go with comodo :thumb:

psss i'm almost 100% sure but rising av has a built in HIPS and it works for a wide range of systems. from their website :

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Agree.

9. entropism

entropism Registered Member

I'm using NAB right now, it works perfectly on x64. Mamuto/A2 Anti-malware work as well, but require an admin account.

10. Stephen2_Aus

Stephen2_Aus Registered Member

Thank you for the help and suggestions.

Basically, until I can find a HIPS powerful enough to protect my Vista x64, I've decided to run VMWare, install WinXP on it and use only WinXP with my old favourites (ProSecurity, Output Pro Firewall, SandboxIE) on it for ALL internet access/questionable program installation/testing.

That way, my Vista x64 will be only used for gaming/encoding/watching movies etc... Any dodgy downloads will be tested in a secure environment first and only be installed natively when found to not be causing trouble.

Should be fun delving into the world of Full Virtualization, for those who know about it, please expect a few questions coming up, CHEERS :thumb:

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sounds exactly like my setup. I run vista ultimate 64-bit as my host which is only used for games and my multimedia work so i run no security apart from the default vista security. The vista ultimate EULA allows me to also install it in a virtual machine which i use for my online activities so i install all my security inside there. When not needed i can simply pause the vm so it doesn't impact my hosts performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.