Vista vs Windows7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by accessalternative, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ok, cool, I'm sorry I went off. It's true I haven't used 7 yet, I'm giving my opinions based on feature lists, tests by others and such things. I actually ended up trying the "latest" Vista even though I went a long time saying I wouldn't touch it. It honestly was not that bad. I did have a couple of "I hate this thing"-UAC moments, and it was running pretty slugish, but overall it was not the "evil and crappy" OS I had thought it would be.

You'll have to excuse my criticism with the whole "7 IS Vista, MS just made 7 so soon because Vista wouldn't sell" opinion. Of course, I still stand by that opinion, because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me at the moment why MS would shoot out a new OS as fast as they have if the "failure" of Vista financially wasn't a factor. Maybe I'm missing a huge piece of the puzzle, but I just don't see MS doing that for any other reason. It just seems like another "Windows ME"-moment to me, though in this case it would seem to be for financial reasons instead of what happened with ME, which really WAS a terrible OS, imho. And yes, I did use ME for 1 year way too long, lol.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I feel aobut the same way even though I am running 7. They fixed Vista and plan on selling it as 7. I feel like I have been royally jobbed by MS if they don't offer a Vista user a major discount.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, they really should offer 7 as a very low cost upgrade to Vista.

4. accessalternative

accessalternative Registered Member

Guys, what is all this NSA inside Windows story? Is it still present day? Are Vista or XP or 7 not to be trusted privacy-wise?

5. accessalternative

accessalternative Registered Member

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The real truth about the whole matter, is that nobody but the NSA and the TOP TOP people (I'm betting 2-3 people at MOST) know the truth. No one is going to share anything, no one has found anything...yet. I mean, it can be discussed until we're blue in the face, but honestly the truth is not likely to come out for years, if ever. I've got my opinions, but my opinions will just get the thread shut down. So, there you go :)

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Right, but money rules the world and that is the main reason for Windows7, hopefully enough people will check that.

Many traces they left and lots of them point to the state of Washington.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

Another feature that shows promising as compared to vista is the new built in defragmenter..and with the new service functions the system should be defragmented most of the time with no additional services(auto defrag) after one is used.major benefit since most newbies do not even know what (de)fragmentation is.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Chris. i agree. its like the diskeeper invisitasking but its bulti in to the OS so every windows 7 user benefits from it.
    I think microsoft really has gone to town with windows 7. they havent let anything untouched. everything is tweaked to work better.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. chris2busy

Well i am not so sure yet..I still am not too satisfied about copy times,although disk usage has improved..i already hate this about vista since i use large files all the time..but yea they took quite some interest in it.for now its a good start. :)

11. Access Denied

I don't know about you guys/gals, but my Win7 is copy/move beast compared to Vista. I am getting anywhere from 2-4x the speed I was getting on Vista. And yes, I had SP1, which supposedly fixed it. Win 7 rocks.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Chris,
    i have terrible file copy speed with vista SP1. i didnt try any file copying with windows 7 beta.
    it should be fixed thou.

13. chris2busy

Hey lodore,
    It is better but its not as much improved as i'd hope...actually SP1 gave a huge bump on my copy speeds,but i guess i was spoiled by the win XP write/copy speeds :p I am a little demanding i guess :)
    Have you enabled write caching and advanced performance on your drives in vista?also is your power plan set to performace mode?by default these options are not enabled in both vista and win 7 and enabling them increases drive speeds a huge deal..

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Chris,
    I have the proformance power plan, advanced proformance isnt enabled i may enable it later.

15. SystemJunkie

I am actually here with windows7 beta 64, the file transfer is approx 3 times faster then vista. Works seamless so far.

16. chris2busy

hmm..maybe its just on my view then..
    write caching and advanced drive preformance can be found in disk managment console under device manager. :)
    I was hoping too to try win 7 x64 sometime but i am still looking for programs i could use there..

17. SystemJunkie

E.g. Symantec, all sysinternal tools, I saw no compat problems so far.
    Except that symantec manuell signature update does not work in win7 beta.

Most 32 bit apps without ring 0 activity work seamless too, maybe some little incompat issues but minor importance.

I see the photogallery disappeared. Taskbar group preview is a useful feature. Svchost and its indexer activity is a bad thing imported from vista, unnecessary harddisk stressing and noise.

This version has problems with old printers from canon.

Access to temporary dir is locked, I don´t know if this is another hardlink chicane or a beta restriction.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey everyone,
    there is one thing I forgot to mention.
    sometimes i play the windows live messenger games.
    when it wants to install the games of course I get a UAC prompt.
    the uac prompt says "internet explorer addon installer"
    if i press the down arrow to get more info it shows something like the following: 1275848485-585855985758-5857575
    in other words i have no idea what i could be allowing to install.

same thing happens with flash player and java i think.
    sometimes it happens with a standard uac prompt for an installation.
    has anyone noticed this?
    if so state application and other details please.
    all the above is on vista.

on windows 7 when i double clicked to install opera i clicked on the downwards arrow it and told me what the application was and also told me it has a valid digital signature and the company who issued it.

would be nice if SP2 for vista has these improvements.

I may try installing windows live messenger games on windows 7 to see if it tells me what im installing instead of some random numbers.
    I will repeat the same tests for flash player and java.

19. chris2busy

Hello :)
    I was referring to other types of programs..most to be honest i will miss sandboxie..i cannot feel secure in a windows environment without it..also i am not very much informed about the flash player incompatibilities with x64...also SPSS that i use too much for my courses is not stable at all under x64 (at least the last time i tried it,it wasn't)..
    indexer is only used when you are performing searches in win 7 i think..as for the svchost,i am not sure what you are referring to :S i only noticed that there are many more such processes at vista than in XP..

20. SystemJunkie

Then use virtualpc or virtualbox if you fear malware...
    or make solid backups. There is nothing to be afraid of what has been understood.

No, svchost a/o indexer stresses harddisk since nt 6.0 it crawls the whole hd at the point when windows logs on.

21. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Oh my God, I can't wait for Win7! I actually have a legal copy of Windows Vista Ultimate Ed. and I never installed it, love my Win XP Pro too much. But Win7 (even in beta stage) looks damn awesome! Thanks to all who posted links to the benchmarks.

I don't know about many here but I, for one, am excited about Win7.

22. SystemJunkie

For good reason, the best point for Vista is a little thing called Snipping Tool. Win XP Pro remains the best.
    Win7 = Vista 2.0.

23. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Agreed, it remindeds me when asked once what I liked about Vista my reply was, the snipping tool.:)

24. Access Denied

Well folks, I went back in time and installed 2003 Server and converted it to a workstation. I wanted to compare 7 and 2003 on here side by side. Thanks to Acronis, I was able to setup images of both and can now switch OS in 10-15 min, lol. Anyway, Windows 7 is barely more of a resource hog than 2003 is. Neither of them classify as a hog, just using as example. Im back in 7 and loving it again. 2003 is fast, somethings faster, but overall 7 is the winner, hands down.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

2003 was very good, and fast. If 7 is anything like it, it will be great....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.