Vista not allowing me access to various files/folders

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jfd15, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

Hi,
    seems like only recently i am getting "Access Denied" to several different
    folders such as "Documents and Settings" and a few others even though
    i am running as Admin account as far as i can tell.....it doesnt give me the
    blinking UAC option, i just get the denied notice...im wondering if this is
    the result of a change in SP1 for Vista or maybe SUPERAntiSpyware or
    Comodo FW has blocked these folders for some reason....

anybody else getting this?

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Download and install XdN Tweaker . There is an option in Files and Folders that will give you a right click context option to Take Ownership of these files. I have run into this myself a few times when copying a copy of my folder after a reinstall. I remember running into the same thing with Linux. It has to do with ownership and permissions is all I know about it.

Just right click on the files that are being denied and select Take Ownership. A command window with rapid scrolling text will appear and then disappear. After this you can access these files.

Attached Files:

3. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I've been experiencing the same problem. Thanks for the tip.

I am unable to delete legacy drivers of uninstalled programs from the registry. Is that part of the same problem?

4. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

Thanks Midway40 - very cool program and it has quite a few other good tweaks.....it worked on everything so far except the cookies folder for some reason - the option isnt there in the right click menu for that folder....

no biggie, i just go into firefox, but im wondering why all of this started- is it coming from Vista?, because i was pretty sure that i had the ability to access all of these folders a few months ago - i have re-installed the OS several times in the past year

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

The last time I noticed it was when I was installing x64. I had copied my User files to another partition beforehand. When I copied these folders back into x64 I discovered that I could not access some folders. There are certain folders (usually in the User directory) that when created on one install can not be read in another install.

I am not sure about cookies as I am not too concerned with them. There are a lot more worse things out there in the net than worrying about them, IMO.

XdN Tweaker is a nice program that reminds me of TweakUI in XP. Just remember that "Open with..." has been replaced by "Take Ownership" so if you need it again just run the Tweaker again and change it back.

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Some of the paths to certain folders in Vista are indirect. For example, if you try to go to Documents and settings from the root of the drive, you will be denied access; however, if you go at it from where it really resides, under the Users tree, you can get to the folders. See this for a bit more discussion.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.