Vista/IBM/Eset 4 sleep problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bodgy, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

First up, I don't think this is an actual Eset problem, more likely Vista/IBM.

I have an Lenovo X61 - obviously ESS4 is installed, with no blocking problems.

After bringing the laptop out of sleep on BATTERY - the WiFi either loses connection or has limited access - Eset driver causes BSOD and an IRQ_NOT_EQUAL to error.

Interestingly, after a cold reboot - ESS loses track of the trusted zone, it pops up asking me to affirm - the IP address of the laptop is allocated by the router and is fixed and attached to the laptops MAC address so the IP doesn't change. It also loses or ignores the entries for my email client (pocomail) and my broswers - Opera 9.64 and IE8.

If the entries exist and I delete them, I receive no message when I try to access the net, in fact they are blocked even though they are not listed. If I add Pocomail in manually, I have to give it permissions ALL and I can receive email, but adding the browsers manually does not work. The only program ESS discovers and marks as a browser is svchost.

I've found the way to get ESS working normally again is to:

Change ESS to Learning mode.
    Shutdown Vista.
    Attach mains power (this is required to get over the Lenovo bug of losing the WiFi connection anyway)
    Restart.
    Allow all services to come online before logging on! (I use finger recognition, haven't tried it by password).

Then ESS goes back to normal.

Vista is known to be flaky with sleep and hibernation, and I suspect that some of the IBM utilities are causing ESS to load last, and somehow if logged on some part of ESS fails.

Anyhow if anyone else finds this problem, the above might work for you as well.

Vista business SP1.

Colin

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello bodgy,

I have sent you a PM.

Thank you,
    Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.