Vista Business SP1 freezes at boot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PiCo, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Some times, it can be either on a cold boot or a restart, Windows freezes at the point where the bar loads.
    The bar freezes and the only solution is to hit the restart button. Then it says "windows has been shut down the wrong way ..bla bla..", so I choose normal mode and I can then boot into Windows.

This OS has been installed fresh from a genuine Vista Business DVD, then updated through Windows Update and then after 2 hours upgraded with a SP1 DVD.

So there was nothing on it other than Windows stuff when the problem start to occur!

Could you please guide me to a direction? Hardware? Software? A bad update? SP1 messed things up? A way to do a workaround?

Thank you in advance!

2. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Ok, so I used to run Vista Ultimate 32bit on the same disk for a whole year without EVER updating. It never froze on me!

The freezings started right after updating a Vista Business fresh install. I used Windows Update and installed 52 updates on a fresh install of the OS. After that it freezes randomly when the progress bar on boot-up appears. What could be causing it I don't know.

Conclusion: Do NOT EVER install Windows Updates. Just wait for the service pack that includes all the stuff together.
    :thumbd:

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Check around in event viewer for any pointer to any probs or boot into safemode and see if it stalls a bit at any drivers maybe?

Is there a system restore point you can go back to before the sp1 update?

4. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I found a lot of these errors:
    Unfortunately I cleaned all system restore points after all the updates in order to create an image (the image would be many GB bigger with restore points in it).

But not to worry, It doesn't happen offen, only randomly every 5 boots or so. I will schedule a format for next month :)

Thanx a lot for your suggestion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.