Vista and Outlook problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Long View, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I wonder if any vista users have had any problems with Outlook 2007 ?

I have just helped a friend set up an Acer wireless laptop using Vista home and Office 2007. Everything seemed fine. One admin account and 2 users.

One small problem - when I click on send to / mail recipient nothing happens and it is then not possible to open Outlook until reboot.

As I did move the pst for each user to D: and as I did not set up outlook for admin I wonder if this is where the problem lies ?

I personally only use Xp and do not have user accounts so I may have missed something. In practical terms there is no real issue. Just open outlook and attached the file that way. It is just that it is annoying for something not to work and not to know why.

any thought ?

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Is Outlook the default email program?

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Perhaps. How did you go about moving it? Vista is different than XP. Vista enforces data locations and folder security.

4. Long View

@ LenC - will have to go back and check

@AKAJohnDoe - I copied the pst from C: to docs on D: and then deleted the Pst for each user on C: and when I launched Outlook navigated to the new location.

My guess is that if Outlook is noted as the Default I will have to make a change to the Registry ?

I have always moved to pst to D: using Xp to make imaging and restoring easier
    and hadn't appreciated the differences in Vista

5. AKAJohnDoe

You did this while Outlook was shut down, right?

6. Long View

Yes

I didn't set up outlook under the admin account - only for the 2 users - I wonder if I should have ?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have Outlook 2007 in Vista x64 here with no issues. But I'm using the admin account only. I think it's best to set up your user accounts before installing Outlook, then just run it from each user account and it should set itself up automatically, making it's own .pst for each user.

8. Long View

Hi Kerodo - This is what I did. I set up 2 user accounts before installing anything. All programs have been installed via admin. The only 2 things I can think of that might be the problem are (1) I didn't set up outlook under admin and (2) I moved the pst from C: to D:

One other thing - I was very impressed with the way that Vista set up the outlook accounts almost automatically. Vista has certainly improved since launch and is in many ways a much better OS than XP. As I have too many licenses for XP I will wait for Win 7 but if I did buy a new machine I would not have a problem with having Vista installed

9. AKAJohnDoe

BTW, I moved my .pst(s) (I have multiple .pst(s)) last night by simply closing Outlook, moving them, starting Outlook, then browsing to the new location when Outlook discovered they were missing to let Outlook relocate them. Worked fine. I am running as Admin, though, not as a limited user. Although UAC is on.

Also, be aware that if you have a PDA/Smartphone running WM that moving your .pst(s) will likely damage the WMDC/ActiveSync partnership.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.