Vista and firstdefense

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ashishtx, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I just installed vista rc2 build 5744 and lost my other snapshots. Is there anyway by which i can access those snapshots? I don't get any pre boot options. Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you can still access the FDISR GUI, then go to actions>enable preboot.

Vista probably over wrote the disk MBR.

Pete

3. ashishtx

NO i don't see firstdefense isr gui either.

4. Peter2150

Hi ashishtx

If I remember right it didn't show up in the systray, but I started it manually. There were STILL issues, and somehow I got it to run in compatibilty mode.

Vista and I aren't ready for each other.:D

Pete

5. ashishtx

Hey, i got the problem solved. I installed firstdefense isr in windows vista and got access to all the previous snapshot. One thing needs to be mentioned that FDISR says," You must be a administrator to change the setting" whenever i am trying to access the FDISR management in Vista. It doesn't bother me as long as i can see the pre boot options.

6. Peter2150

I found that quite irriating as I was an administrator and it kept tellilng me I needed to be one. I was thrilled with RC1. Will play with the rtm version in Jan.

Pete

7. spm

spm Registered Member

Yes, the Windows security model in Vista has undergone significant rework. Unlike in XP and earlier, programs running in an admin account in Vista do not actually get admin privileges until they ask for them (but they are granted - by the user - on request without the need for a password). This has not changed between Vista RC1 and RTM.

The frequency of privilege escalation prompts can be reduced by proper design, coupled with 'manifests', in Vista-ready applications, but will require a significant re-development effort for vendors of some pre-Vista apps.

I suggest that people should not be upgrading to Vista until they have first verified that each and every one of the apps they need have been certified for use on Vista by their respective vendors.

8. Peter2150

I agree wholeheartedly. Just bought a new machine so I could avoid vista till I want it. Will play for a while in the virtual world first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.