Vista 64bit compatible software?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tradetime, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello tradetime,
    your welcome
    all you need to do is use "Paragon-111-PRE_WinPERCD_9.0.9.6941_000.exe"
    it doesnt install anything. it is used to create a live cd.
    just double click on it and follow the wizard. stick in a blank disc when prompt. once finished just boot from it and create images.
    "Paragon-111-PRE_WinInstallx64_9.0.9.6941_001.msi" is used to install it. btw its best to restore using the live cd.
    i found a bug with the restore image before windows loads with the 64bit version of paragon drive backup 9. it reboots but then never finishes. so you end up with C: unformatted.

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Thanx again, much appreciated. :thumb:

3. tradetime

The biggest problem I have noticed about having a 64bot OS is that I get the impression the software industry would rather it did not exist. Many programs, under requirements will state Windows Vista but will make no mention of whether their software is actually 64bit compatible, it's like they are just ignoring it and hope it will go away which is a bit of pain. Obviously having made the switch to 64bit I would prefer all software vendors to produce 64bit compatible versions, but at the very least it would be helpful if they acknowledged it's existence and stated whether their software was compatible with it or not.

4. tradetime

Anyone know if Ashampoo burning studio as posted on another thread here rececntly is compatible with 64bit?

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Burning Studio 2009 is working fine on my 64bit desktop. 2008 worked as well.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think there is a problem, so much as just the fact that not all software is made to take advantage of 64 bit OS's yet. Almost all software will run fine on Vista x64, so there really isn't a problem per se, just apps not taking full advantage of the benefits of x64. In time that should slowly change. Meanwhile, I was able to run 100% of anything I tried on Vista x64. No issues, no problems.

7. tradetime

Thanx Midway40 :thumb:

8. tradetime

Thanx Kerado, that's good to know.

9. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

About to the join the Core 2 Quad family sometime next month. I am upgrading from a P4 3ghz, lol. Thanks for all the info in this thread folks.

As far as Windows 7 beta goes, for those in this thread who I know run it: Did win7 download 64 bit drivers for you like it did 32 for me? I mean 7 loaded every driver I needed, all on its own. Did the 64 bit version snag the right ones for you?

10. Kenjim

Kenjim Registered Member

I doubt www.winvistaclub.com has done any real research on their own. They're just parroting other peoples opinions and wishful thinking.

Sure, Vista uses hardlinks extensively, but that doesn't mean winsxs, and the windows folder in general, isn't full of duplicates.

Using TreeSize Pro, switching hardlink awareness on and off, and comparing the results for winsxs, leads me to conclude it's between 3 and 4GB on my Vista 64bit. It's not the 9.1GB that explorer reports, but it's not just hardlinks either.

Took a look at winsxslite, and it doesn't seem to be about deleting anything, but rather, it's supposed to replace dupes with hardlinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.