Vista 64 Virut type prevention possible?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SourMilk, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I know of a couple of light virtualizing programs - ZA Forcefield and another Moscow based program whose name I have forgotten might work. Some say careful surfing can help. It is my understanding that file infector malware is usually found on crack/keys sites but also found elsewhere. Most good antiviruses will identify the infection but alas, the harm has already happened with an unknown amount of .exe's changed in the computer - both uncompressed and compressed in .zip and .rar. Anyone know of a preventative HIPS or other scheme to prevent these file infectors on Vista 64? Or is UAC enough?
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    SourMilk out

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Evidently not according to the lack of answers. Keeping a clean image on a detached external drive seems the ONLY answer to virut. o_O

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I recently switched to Vista 64 bit and like it even though there's only a slight gain in speed with my machine. I can't use Shadow Defender with it (pity!) but I have a license for DeepFreeze, which is fine on my computer as my C: is not partitioned.

Still I can restore a clean image in 10-11 minutes in the worst possible scenario. Backup and antivirus are IMO easy to use, whereas HIPS you would have to pay attention to all alerts, and decide accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.