Virut.NBP False positive?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by notuo, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notuo

notuo Registered Member

Hi all.

I woke up this morning with this issue: NOD32 3.0.672.0 updated found this virus in my objectdock shortcut. I been using this portable program from almost a year now and today, zaz! a virus?

I started to look at this and found the eset definition here http://www.eset.eu/encyclopaedia/virut_nbk_virus_virut_ce__virut_cf_virut_n?lng=en

I review and nothing is infected as per that page defines. Did a Full scan and also I tried some of online virus scanners and no found anything in the file. Also the eset online found nothing.

Today the 4033 update http://www.eset.eu/podpora/aktualizacia-4033?lng=en mentions this virus.

What do you think? Is a false positive?
    What do you recommend to do

Best regards,

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It is highly unlikely to be FP. Try submitting the file to www.virustotal.com to see how many AVs detect it. I'd suggest that you boot from a clean media and clean out the infection.

3. notuo

notuo Registered Member

Hi Marcus, Thanks for your answer. I have 2 Questions/Issues:

1) I cannot send the file to virustotal because the file is 40MB (limit 20). Any suggestion here?
    2) How to clean? I see no traces (as I mentioned) and I have the file now in quarantine.

Is there a way to know if this NBP variant is new?. As I mentioned I have this file from more than a year, used it and no traces of infection.

Thanks again and best regards

EDIT >>>> Just to mark a point... ESET online scanner didn't find anything in this file.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  4. kbales

kbales Registered Member

I have had a similar experience with this virus. ESET quarantined two files:

1. PnkbstrB.exe located in my Far Cry 2 folder
    2. A system restore file

ESET claimed that both were infected with the Virut.NBP virus and that they were both quarantined.

I can't find any traces of this virus anywhere on my system. I have tried various scanners (ESET, Malwarebytes, Dr.Web, trend secure online scan) and nothing regarding virut.nbp has been found.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the PnkBstrB.exe file? Is this a false positive? Or, was I lucky enough that ESET found and eliminated the virus before it could do any damage?

I even tried restoring the file to my desktop, and submitted it to virustotal. No detections were made. I then scanned the files with ESET and Malwarebytes again...again, no detections. I am really confused.

I have no idea how I would have gotten the virus. I have not played Far Cry 2 in months, and have not updated PunkBuster...any thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  5. notuo

notuo Registered Member

In my case, I read here for the same issue with another guy in the same situation. He send the file to analysis and sometime later (3 weeks or so) I tried again and voila!, no more virus in the file. This confirmed the false positive.

I suggest you to send the file and wait for an answer.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.