VirusBuster

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jlo, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

Has anyone had any experence of Virusbuster from http://www.virusbuster.hu/en/

They have just launched a 2005 edition.

I tried it a couple of years a go and it was very light and had good detection. Stuff that was not detected was normally added the next day after being submitted? The only think I did not like was the updates. They used to be about 1mb and at the time I was on dial up.

I think this has changed now. BTW I think Vexria AV use the VirusBuster Engine.

They update every day and just checked they have released a update today.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Cheers

Jlo

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I received a free bundle of virusbuster while buying a laserprinter :) I was not impressed at all. This one has not the feeling that I get while using NOD32, F-Secure or KAV for instance. And in the test of our Greek friend Virusbuster doesn't do very well too.

Poor detection, that's for sure :)

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thanks for your resonse.

Cheers

Jlo

4. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

I personally have tried VirusBuster Personal 2005 and my conclusion is the following-it is a reliable software and detected viruses,which Bitdefender 8 Pro and Dr.Web 4.32 b had overlooked.The only problem was their non-incremental system of updating.Each day one should download 4 Mb.For those on dial-up it is too much...
    And they have very good support service-they responded all my enqueries.
    By the way,VirusBuster was the first among AV vendors who responded my requests to comment the results of testing ,conducted by Virus P. I don't think they would mind my citing an extract from their response:
    Quote:

Dear User !

Unfortunateley, I have to say that this test is not exactly correct.
    VirusBuster detects DOS, Windows, Linux and a very few other Unix like OS viruses.
    We do not ( / do not want to ) detect PalmOS, BeOS, etc. viruses. A Windows
    user can not run a PalmOS program, however (s)he can get it via e-mail.

Please see their defintion of malware on their website :

Malware = DoS, Constructors, Exploit, Flooders, Hoax, Jokes, Nukers, Sniffers,
    Spoofers, Virus Construction Tools, Virus Tools, Corrupted, Droppers, Intended,
    PolyEngines.

A lot of these are tools, that the attackers use. By example a constructor is a
    harmless program in the point of its users view, because a constructior tells the user
    that 'I make a virus for you'. So their detection is less important.

'Corrupted' means file which contest is bad. Generally VirusBuster does not detect
    non-working programs by example if you have a trojan which size is 50000 bytes, and
    you copy only the first 30000 bytes onto another machine so you create a
    non-working sample, the VirusBuster in almost all cases does not detect it.

Joke means program which only a Joke, we generally do not detect jokes.

Hoax means a piece of false news, we do not detect hoaxes, because the hoax
    is not a harmless computer program, it is a misinformation.

Intended means program which does not work, because of someone without
    professional knowledge or careful work made changes that made a program
    non-working. We generally do not detect non-working programs.

PolyEngine also means Virus Constructor.

There is another problem. Sometimes an AV product produces FALSE POSITIVES. This
    means a virus detection on harmless files. Such an error can cause that an
    AV product detects all programs made by a same tool or packed with a same
    exepacker. They think that the sample an AV program detects have to be detected
    by others. So they do not have a quality control against that."

the end of the quote

As for me it is an exhaustive and professionally and scientifically precise answer,the best and most comprehensive I've ever received from AV developers.
    I am currently make use of Kaspersky Personal Pro only because I am on dial-up and can't dedicate all my time in the net for downloading updates.Though guys from VirusBuster promised to solve the matter with incrementel updates in the near future.
    They are going to issue VirusBuster Professional 2005.
    By the way, the interface of VB Personal 2005 is superb and very pleasent to work with.
    I think you could give VirusBuster a chance (if you are not on dial-up,of course).
    I have been a user of different AVs and may assert that VirusBuster is worth using.It's not an ad,believe me...

5. Edwin024

...and still it looks as if the Virusbustershave wrote this whole posting themselves ;)

6. Windfresh

Yeah,boy,I am a venal,mean surfer,working for those VB guys and I write all this for a huge pack of money! :mad:
    If serious,I got answers to comment Virus P tests from Quisk Heal,Norman and Dr.Web.One of them said that they don't comment "Unknown tests",and the guys from warm country gave me a link to Microsoft and VBulletin sites,where it was said that they are very reliable.
    By the way,I am fromUkraine,not Hungary,though so I can't work for them.
    You find me good in PR?Do I sound professional.If so I'm gonna change my trade... :D

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

@Windfresh: thanks for sharing the answer of VirusBuster, they are correct.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I use to sell it. After every single XP computer that I sold crashed from one of their updates over a long weekend, and I had customers lining up at my door on Monday morning, together with my switchboard lit up, this was the final straw for me as a Reseller.

It is no longer sold in Australia, does that answer your question ;) :D

Cheers :D

9. Windfresh

I am perplexed by what Blackspear said. :eek:
    I googled VirusBuster and here are the results:
    Probably,you mistook Virus Buster Leprehaun at www.leprehaun.com.au ,which merged with Zondex Guard of Australia at www.zondex.com/guard.htm for Hungarian VirusBuster at www.virusbuster.hu/en/ ? That is why Virus Buster Leprehaun doesn't sell in Australia anymore.But VirusBuster from Hungary and Virus Buster Leprehaun are DIFFERENT AVs,having nothing to do with each other .There are also Trend Micro Pcillin Internet Security Virus Buster(Japanese version) and V-Buster-they all are DIFFERENT AVs!If honest,I can't get why they call their products by similar names causing confusing.
    Blackspear,please,clear up the situation!Which of these "virusbusters"did you sell?I advised HUNGARIAN VirusBuster to my friends and colleagues and don't want to be cursed.It is very important.
    Thank you in advance

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No, Leprechaun sold a product called VirusBuster which shared its development with Virusbuster (Hungarian).

Not as far as I am aware they have/had nothing whatsoever to do with Zondex, and never have. I see they are using the Leprechaun logo's, to me they would have purchased the rights for these when Leprechaun ceased trading.

When Leprechaun went out of business they sent all of their customers an email announcing that they would be given licenses for TrendMicro (from memory, it may have been PC Cillan) to cover the period remaining of their VirusBuster licenses.

No, they had many people suing them including Resellers.

Not at the time they were in business, not what we were told as Resellers, not according to trademarks used and not according to those that knew them in the industry.

As clear as I can be, sold VirusBuster developed in conjunction with its Hungarian counterpart.

I have a very sour taste in my mouth regarding this product, it caused myself and my clients a great deal of heartache with continually missing viruses and causing system crashes. This was my experience.

Cheers :D

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  11. Windfresh

Thank you for explanations. :D I wonder waht they would say upon this info ;)

12. Edwin024

Possibly nothing or a load of BS ;)

As I said too: it did not impress me at all too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.