Virus signature update in progress...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Sven_O, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sven_O

Sven_O Registered Member

Hello,

I am trying the new ESS 5.0.94.0 at the moment and more or less I am happy with it.

But when I start (or wake) my system the first time a day the Icon is green rotating and it tries to update the virus signature forever. It wont let me "Abort" in the ESS Update screen, I need to restart the system to make it work normal.

I think it has to do with my wireless networkcard not being active yet when ESS starts updating the first time. I already disabled the "Update at logon" "Update at Dial Up" tasks but no change.

This never happened with ESS 4.xx on the same machine.

I am using Win7 x64 and the Wlan card is a Linksys WMP600N.

I am hoping for help resolving this or I may have to look for another security solution.

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Have you tried to disable the Automatic Startup File Check tasks to see if perhaps the problem is with the startup scan and not with the virus signature database update?

3. Sven_O

Sven_O Registered Member

Thanks for your help. Disabling "automatic startup file check after definition update" seems to have fixed my problem.

Looking at "last run" for the tasks, it showed that the update itself went ok but the "startup file check after definition update" did not run and hung the system. After a reboot (with the now updated definitions) the "startup filecheck at logon" task did run normal.

4. Sven_O

Sven_O Registered Member

I thought it was gone, but same problem again since yesterday. :doubt:

Seems like it is the "log maintainance" Task now that is not finishing or whatever. So I disabled that also.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Am I at higher risk when I have disabled these "default" tasks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.