Virus signature database update ended with an error.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Supersnake, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Any attempt by me to update my virus signature database results in:
    Virus signature database update ended with an error.
    Then a small window near my taskbar opens and displays "Error creating temporary file name."

My update download progress bar gets to 59% then the update fails and then I get those messages.

Am running NOD Version 5.0.93.0
    What's the problem?
    Thanks in advance, will check for replies tonight.

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Verify that you have a temp folder in the following locations:

C:\Documents and Settings\{USER}\Local Settings
    C:\WINDOWS

If either folder is missing a temp folder, please create a folder named 'Temp" in that folder. Restart the computer and try to update the virus signature database again.

3. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Thanks, I suspected it would be a Temp folder matter.

Am running Window7 Pro (64bit) and it's 'favorite' path for the Temp folder on my machine has always been:
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp. I verified this was the designated location by viewing the Environmental Variables which is listed under the System Properties Advanced tab. That's where I saw that my O.S. had designated "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" to be the path for the User and System variables.

I made the matter a bit more complex than ordinary. I didn''t want my Temp folder to be on my C drive at all because my C drive is a SSD. Those of you with SSD's know how paranoid we are about minimizing the writes to an SSD - theory goes that this preserves the durability of the drive.

Anyway, here is how I resolved the "Virus signature update ended with an error / missing a Temp folder problem"

1. I edited my System's Environmental Temp Variables from "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" to F:\TEMP\sys (F drive being my data storage drive - which is not the SSD system drive.
    2. Performed a clean uninstall of NOD32 and reinstalled it. I have since activated the update command several times; the ESET server and my operating system's relocated Temp folder are compatible, no further problems.
    Cheers,
    Supersnake

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. dadwhiskers

dadwhiskers Registered Member

OK, but what if all the temp folders are there. Four have been mentioned relating to this topic, and it isn't missing Temp folders. That seems to be the only answer that has been put forth.

I have ownership of the entire folder trees all the temp folders are in, so there is permission to write to disk. This suddenly started a few days ago and is a continuing issue.

Is there another answer?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The "error creating temporary file name" can be solved by deleting all *.tmp files in the temp folder. They should have been removed automatically but for some unknown reason they weren't.

6. Arvidos

Arvidos Registered Member

Look from the command line whether the file *. Sys directory in the root windose. Very similar to a rootkit qhost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.