Virus found help please

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mowhan, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

Hi all,
    My first post here and hopefully someone might be able to help me out,i just recieved a game i ordered called Tomb Raider:Legends which has just been released,on installing the game i get a pop up from nod32 saying that a file contains a virus,the message is:
    file:
    D:\trl.dat
    Threat:
    probably unknow win32 virus
    comment:
    Event occured at an attempt to acces the file by the application:
    C:\documents\myname\locals~1\temp\SETB25.tmp

any help would be appreciated as i cant finnish of the install with this message and not sure if its a real threat or a false positive

thanks

2. fosius

fosius Registered Member

3. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

Thanks for reply but i can't send the file because its locked on the cd rom and it 1.8gb in size and the temp file changes each time i try too install,am a bit lost and out of my depth really not sure what to send

was hoping for a reply from maybe an official eset representitive to try and sort this out or should i get support from the official website,i know its only been 24 hours since i wrote the message

just uninstalled nod32 and using kaspersky to see if the virus warning pops up again

4. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Let me guess... the Tomb Raider - Legend game?
    It's false positive...

6. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

i just submitted the temp file this game installs to virus scan jotti and all the result so nothing but it did say..

MIGHT BE INFECTED/MALWARE (Sandbox emulation took a long time and/or runtime packers were found, this is suspicious. Normally programs aren't packed and don't force the sandbox into lengthy emulation. Do realize no scanner issued any warning, the file can very well be harmless. Caution is advised, however.)

so am still not happy disabling nod to install this game or am i being paranoid

7. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

add this file to nod32 exclusions
    it will not detect in future

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If the game is retail, you shouldn't worry. Just add file to exclusion or disable NOD32 during installation.

9. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

ok now am really confused
    o_O uninstalled nod32 because i couldnt install the game even when disabling nod without alerts,installed the game,reinstalled nod32 and now getting pop up warnings about trl.exe virus warning in explorer.exe which trl.exe is the exe for the game,should i add trl.exe to exclusion and forget about it?

any chance an eset rep could explain whats happening here when ones around and help me

thanks

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  10. thedon57

thedon57 Registered Member

Read that link that trl.exe giving some agrow
    <snip>

edited to remove site link pending admin review - Detox

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No need to pend anything. This was a known problem on TR-Legend game clone images from "underground" (warez) first. But since clone images are identical to original, same problem happens on retail game discs. Which it also did. I was not using NOD32 (BitDefender:oops: ) when i installed the game but few other friends reported that NOD32 was causing these troubles.

It's a false positive and ESET should fix it asap. Game went retail few days ago and you don't want mass histeria do you?

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Sorry to disagree about the need (or lack thereof) to "pend" anything, but my actions are to help keep things in line with the TOS here at Wilders.

13. pykko

pykko Registered Member

hmm....they are so "fast" in answering this thread :D Hope they fixed the FP

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

OT post removed as per the TOS in particular the part about "The decisions of the forum management are final and are not open for public debate".

15. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

Its now been 2 days or near enough i have and i guess many others where nod32 report this as a virus and still no reply to this thread from official eset rep,my email to tech support at eset homepage has been ignored as well,to be honest am not to impressed with this product as support goes,i have a few other security software programs and the support on them is by far better then this,i do realise its the weekend but surley eset have people working 24 hours for support like it says on the web site

i doubt ill renew my licence when it runs out

grumble,grumble

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I could step in contact with EIDOS/Crystal Dynamics sooner than they (ESET) obviously can :rolleyes:
    No wonder people get dissapointed... just don't say i haven't warned you before.

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hey, it's been said in another thread that we'll try to get that file from Eidos. Morover, we haven't got any TRL related inquiry at support[at]eset.com, maybe you contacted some of our distributors and not Eset directly.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm just uploading the file and i'll send the link to your PM in few minutes.
    It's ~7MB in size when compressed with 7-zip (extracted is over 17MB).

Can't check if any other file triggers similar alert since i'm just beta testing new avast! so i don't have NOD32 installed...

20. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

sorry i didnt notice the other thread about this same problem and maybe i did contact the wrong support at eset

hopefully you can sort the problem out soon

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Marcos, check your PM inbox...

22. pykko

pykko Registered Member

They are moving slow in many circumstances and that's one of their weak points. :(

23. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

When you have a fast growing company such as Eset, growth has to be carefully managed, failure to do so causes many such companies to collapse.

Blackspear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.