Virus Chaser - free antivirus using Bitdefender's scan engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by roger_m, Nov 25, 2014.

1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I think BD have 2 different signature number i.e as I mentioned in my previous post, Virus Chasers signature number resembles BD free i.e Virus Chasers & BD free both products signature number currently starts with 58....... & BD paid products signature number currently starts with 51......

Attached is the screenshot of BD free

Attached Files:

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I see. Thanks for the info.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

True...especially among those lesser known ones. There are quite a number of AVs that use Bitdefender's engine and there can be stark differences in how they perform. Not to look down on VC but there are others whom have shown/proven that their in-house tech adds value to the product...so it's important for potential users to know if VC is able to prove its worth.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That explains it.

In addition to the BD definitions they have some of their own too.

5. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Well installed this and looks good. Have downloaded the definitions update and installed which has brought me to 28 Nov. But everytime I try to do a manual update to check it tells "checking update settings" then "cant reach the update server". Been doing this since I installed the program, is it just me or is their server possibly down?? Kinda reminds me of the Avetix venture...lol

6. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Update, this is really strange never had this happen before. I placed my DSL router firewall off and tried the manual update again and BAM connected fine and updated 101 files. Now everything is up to date but I have never had to turn off my router firewall for an anti virus to update. Guess I'm gonna have to find the port it uses to poke a hole if I want to turn my router firewall back on. Have had software firewalls stop the connections before but never my router. Always something new when goofing with computers and networks....

7. controler

controler Guest

Why am I the only one that sees unacceptable download times for the install file? Over 3 hours and am I the only 8.1 user that can not access the GUI after I do get it installed?

8. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

I installed on Win 7 and the download took maybe 45 minutes on my 3 MB DSL. And the GUI does take about 10-15 seconds before it opens...

9. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Yes and no.

To be honest, I never paid any attention to the signature number but within this thread, it seems to have gained some relevance.

In looking at three of the recent update.txt data I captured, I find variances in the value between what is presented in BD's published update.txt and the one on my local system:
    Online -- Local
    5172583 5855303 7.57986 - Fri Nov 28 03:17:24
    5174144 5857434 7.57989 - Fri Nov 28 07:05:51
    5205034 5889055 7.57994 - Fri Nov 28 16:38:30

Contrast with this from several months ago:
    Update time: Thu Jul 17 03:09:31 2014
    Signature number: 10726000
    Update time GMT: 1405555771
    Version: 7.55898

The update.txt report has been consistent since SOFTWIN BitDefender Standard Edition 7, about 2003. The plugins folder file set has been equally consistent across all versions and products, free or paid or home or commercial. In all of the forum discussions I read or been involved in over the years, it was universally understood the signature number is the actual number of code accounting involved in protection.

In consideration of all that and after all this time, I have to admit I have no knowledge of how the signature number metric is presented in the online and local txt files. But I won't be wasting any time researching it because I don't care. It couldn't be more irrelevant to the currency of sigs in your particular version of a BD licensed app. As well, each of the "signature number" reported in this thread so far "begins with" 58. That's good.

And the variance of about 680,000 does not mean VC added to the mix. Unless BD's license has a "go ahead and muck with our stuff" clause. Think so? Any licensee wanting to add "their own" signature/definition tech adds an in-house engine (Tera in Roboscan, Lavasoft in Ad-Aware, a2 in Emsisoft, etc. etc. etc.).

7.57994 is newer than 7.55993. Period. To heck with the signature number. The further your version is from the published, the more your protection is dependent on BD's B-Have heuristics and whatever else the developer threw in, not that either of the latter two is that easily dismissed.

This is all germane and significant within the construct of the universal "IT'S GOT THE BD ENGINE!!" hormone spill. Without timely and consistent sigs updates, BD's acclaimed and nearly unequaled scan detections become less and less effective the more time that passes between updates. (Big DUH.) So it would behoove anyone installing ANY licensed BD app, new or established, to check the update operation and I presented a method to that end.

This should be the end of the VERSION discussion regardless of whether or not one understands the concept of VERSION. Well, actually, if you don't - I have an installer for BitDefender 8.0.137 for sale, cheap. And a set of 3.5" floppies for Windows 3.11. PM me. :D

Some really interesting metrics:
    •Since the time BD implemented this signatures technology, there have been, as of this posting, 57994 updates. That's about 11.5 a day.
    •The time span of recent versions 7.57950 to 7.57994 calculates to an update every 1.56 hours, average.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
  10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

When Virus Chaser used the Dr.Web engine they had a separate database file, in Dr.Web's own database format, which contained extra definitions. It was not updated frequently but I did see it update over the time I used it.

11. roger_m

They have 83MB of their own definitions which they update every one or two days.

12. Firecat

If you have a few samples, would you kindly check if B-HAVE and Heuristics are enabled? I recall the old Virus Chaser disabled the heuristics due to the tendency of the Dr.Web engine to produce FPs. From what I know, this should be corrected in the current versions, however, it's always worth a look-see.

13. roger_m

I don't have any samples to test it with at the moment. There is no option for heuristics in the settings, but you can change the level of proactive protection.

14. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

So does this AV have a different way of calling home for updates?? As I said my router firewall blocks any attempts, never seen that before in an AV. Does Virus Chest do something different, there really arent many settings to see whats happening. And I dont have the proxy option checked as I dont use one.

15. controler

controler Guest

I have tried it 3 or 4 times now and waited 10 min. and still no GUI. I wonder if installing it with Quietzone on matters?

16. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Seeing as tho the website is in Korean maybe not ready for Windows 8.1?? Took a look and nothing I can read saying what its compatible with. What happens if you go to the Virus Chaser Program Files folder and right click sgavc.exe and hit open?? Also how many processes are running in Windows Task Manager?? I have 3 vcsvc.exe, vcsvcc.exe, and sgbider.exe

17. roger_m

From the English website:

Virus Chaser opens.
    That seems to be all.

18. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Ah yes. Because Dr. Web is the same as Bitdefender (or the other way around). Got it.

Anyhow, check out the signature number in this oldie...
    Update time: Wed Dec 1 10:02:31 2004
    Signature number: 95427
    Update time GMT: 1101880951
    Version: 7.00310

http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bitdefender_v65/plugins/update.txt
    They got way too much leftovers on that server share. :D

19. Firecat

Your point being? Do you really assume no one knows anything around here?

20. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

So controler according to the post from roger m (see post #42) from their English website Virus Chaser is not designed to work in Win 8 or 8.1 unless Windows 2008 is similar to Win 8...

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I was going to try this, but it took about 20min just to download the program, on a fast internet connection. Makes me worry it is not ready for prime time.

22. roger_m

The speed shoudn't be as issue, once you've downloaded the program and it's downloaded the large first time definition update, as there will just be the small incremantal update to download after that.

I use a download manager when I'm faced with really slow download speeds.

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I understand, but it reflects on the company. If they can't afford to pay for decent servers/bandwidth, where else are they cutting costs? Regardless, I'll probably install tomorrow and give it a go.

24. roger_m

Maybe the download speed is a lot better in Korea. In any case, I can live with slow download speeds for a free product.

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

It hung on installation. Not impressed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.