Virtualisation software

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dregg Heda, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

How can a virtualiser help secure my computer? I understand that you can basically keep the changes you want and get rid of anything else you dont want including any malware. But surely if you've got other good security products you wont need a virtualiser as nothing will get on.

Virtualisers seem like threat gate guards. Are there any other uses?

Also what are the major feature differences between Shadow Defender, Returnil Premium and Shadow User.

Just out of curiosity they all use ISR technology right? Thanks!

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Dregg Heda,
    See this excelent thread for a general overview of these programs:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=230459&highlight=light virtualization

Virtualization provides you with a last line of defence against unwanted or malicious changes you may or may not be aware of. Traditional security solutions are falling further and further behind because of the sheer volume of new malware being created. It can be days, weeks, or even longer before your AV/AS/AM solutions are updated, you can make a bad decision with your HIPS/FW rules, bad content could infect good files, etc.

Using ISR, you are not limited by the update cycle of your current solution providers and have a means to significantly reduce the time to removal of bad/unwise changes to your system. While detection of malicious content is important, removal is critical...

HTH
    Mike

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Another use besides security is the ability to try new software or settings on your PC and then if you don't like the program or settings you can simply get rid of them by closing out the virtalization program. No need to uninstall or reset you settings. I have been using Returnil for a few weeks now and have found it to be excellent. If I need to open an e-mail I am unsure of, if I am trying out new programs, or if I am randomly surfing 1 click virtualises the PC and a simple reboot gets rid of anything that occurred during the time the PC was virtualized. There is a free version of Returnil which is the one I have been using and a paid version (which I have just upgraded to today). The main difference between the two is that with the paid version you can save whatever occurred on the PC when you leave the virtualized state. You cannot do this with the free version.

Other than my being a customer of Returnil I have no association with the company at all.

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Even if you have great antivirus/firewalls/antispyware eventually something will get though.

I wouldn't surf the internet without returnil running in the background. It's my prefered antispyware software (my use for virtual software). The best part of returnil is you can go into virtual mode instantaneously just when you need it, like before you get on the internet.

Below is my computer security
    amd 4800 dual core, windows xp pro sp2, 1gb ram
    1.zone alarm basic firewall
    2.avg 8.0 free antivirus
    3.firefox 3.0 browser
    4.returnil

I can't remember the last time I was attacked with spyware/virus, it's been over a year.

I also have a 1 week old image backup of my system partitioned save on an external, just in case. But never had to restore due to spyware/virus problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.