Virtualisation and HDD health

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by tradetime, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Having come across this post on a Powershadow thread, and not wishing to take it off topic by discussing virtual products in general, I was wondering what the more knowledgeable than myself think about the risks of damage to HD of using various virtual softwares. I realise the poster here is speaking specifically about Powershadow, but does risk of damage exist with these technologies?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont think it could directly damage your disk, but since it will just cause your disk to be more active, the disk *may* not last as long.

Disks do have a MTTF (mean time to failure) of hundred of thousands hours. I wouldnt be so worried.

3. koreanmark

koreanmark Registered Member

They announce millions of people using powershadow.

As I know, there are few western people using the powershadow. But Powershadow is a freeware for chinese.

Few western people know chinese and never will know this:
    There are about 20,000 search result in google that report the disk or system crash by Powershadow in chinese website.

In some chinese forums, many chinese people complain the company of powershadow use the chinese computers for testing. the free is a bait. then sell it to the western people.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This thread is a duplication of this thread in the anti-malware forum.

Therefore I am closing thread is closed.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.