virtualbox and registry

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by lodore, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    i like testing software.
    most of the time i image vista and then install software try it out then restore image. but sometimes i like to use virtual box to test out stuff in windows 2k pro.
    the problem is that when i restore an image and then start virtual box it tells me the win2k test.vdi file doesnt match the UUID in the in the registry.
    this means everytime i restore an image i have to delete the virutual machine and its harddrive everytime i restore an image.

i have installed virtualbox on Z: and also store my virtual machines on Z:
    i was assuming that that would mean if i restored an image it would have no issues since alll the settings should be stored on another partition.

why the hell does it store some of the virtual machine stuff in the registry?
    anyone know of anyway around it? or if virtualbox have a forum?
    if they have a forum hopfully i can explain the situatuon and in the next version they will save all the virtual machine info in the VDI and machine folders on Z: and nothing in the registry to avoid this issue.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I used to install VB in C and just save my VMs and Virtual HDs in another partition. Did u try like this?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi aigle, yes i did
    thats how it was originaly done.
    thats when it first reported the error.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm... Try posting at their forums. I am not using it ATM.

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

No idea, currently I can't test it for you since I'm at work. Please try their forums, the developers are browsing around there too :)
    http://forums.virtualbox.org/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.