Virtual Machines

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TerryWood, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I decided to take the plunge and try installing Virtual Box on the following PC

HP Pavilion Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @2.93GHZ (P2) It has Windows 7 64 bit installed on it and I wanted to try Ubuntu 64bit 10.10

Although I am a novice the install and ability to follow web instructions were surprisingly easy.

When I got to the point of locating the Ubuntu iso for the Virtual Box "Storeage" I got an error message something along the lines of "i686 architecture and that I was using the wrong kernel"

I tried VM Ware Player with similar results.

Anyone share a solution/clarification.

Thanks

Terry

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

3. TerryWood

Hi Meriadoc

Your link is indeed relevant. When I went into bios the hardware virtualization was not active. After activation many other issues have arisen, but small scale.

As an aside, I am not impressed with the ease of these virtualization solutions. Especially, if you consider the Wubi Ubuntu dual boot solution. Yes you cannot quite as easily switch between the two operating systems, BUT the installation of Wubi/Ubuntu is flawless.

Come on virtual machines get your act together.

Terry

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi Terry,

well, I use a mixture of virtual machines host and guest 32bit, 64bit OS to Enterprise Linux and Hyper-V. Software, hardware system requirement is most important as is good software and drivers in running a productive and optimized machine.

Playing around with vms will reveal the different facets in features and how easy they are to use.

Regards.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I purchased a very expensive VMware quite a few years ago now, mainly for testing unattended install cd/dvd when I was doing a lot of that. It has worked on every machine (host) and has allowed seamless installs of every OS (client) I have tried, including every version of windows from 95 to 7, many linux flavors and many specialized tools like freenas. I have tried VirtualBox and the other one (can't remember now the name), and they worked generally, but VMware has been one very solid investment for me - very stable and very easy.

Sul.

6. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I installed WUBI a few months ago. Decided I wanted to go back to using Virtual Machines. I used the uninstaller, It did not uninstall correctly. All kinds of Windows errors & disk errors were the result. Windows did its best but never could correct all the errors & the disk eventually crashed. I had to purchase a new computer. I would not go anywhere near that program again. I hope that they have fixed the problems before anyone else has to buy a new hard disk or computer.

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Echo that.
    Considering the hours I have spent in VMs; actual cost/hr = Tres reasonable

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

9. TerryWood

Hi All

Thanks for all contributions.

I am making some progress. I installed VM Player (after enabling Hardware virtualization in BIOS) and although it was not the most flawless of installs (**** up with the VM Tools installalation) it looks as though I have a stable 64 bit Ubuntu on Windows 7.

I could not achieve this with Virtual Box just too many errors as I reported earlier in this thread.

To Kees - Thanks when I have mastered VM Player I will try VM Lite.

Footnote - Whilst Ubuntu is running very well I don't like the design. It is for Left Handed people. ie as an example Firefox shutdown X and window maximiser minimiser are on the left hand side of each window.

Not good for Right Handed people!

Terry

10. TerryWood

Hi

Quick Question

Using VM Player with Host Windows 7 64bit, can you create a new virtual machine with a Linux 32bit as guest?

Thanks

Terry

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The host doesn't affect the guest in that way. There's basically no limit on what you can run under VMware.

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Yes
    LOL
    Yah that's a little weird little tweak to appease the Mac users :D
    It is configable..
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/06/08/move-window-buttons-back-to-the-right-ubuntu-10-04/
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13535/move-window-buttons-back-to-the-right-in-ubuntu-10.04/

13. TerryWood

Hi Longboard

U learn something every day, thanks. It did the trick nicely. (Repositioning of maximize & Minimise & close windows)

Terry

14. TerryWood

Hi

Not sure whether this should be here but mods will move it if necessary.

Using Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on Windows 7 64bit host in VMplayer. Everything works except sound. I get the following error message as the VM boots.

"Cannot open the file "C:\ProgramData\vmware\dndlogs\dndlog.conf". The system cannot find the file paths. A device ID has been used out of range for your system. SOUND WILL BE DISCONNECTED"

I did find a few posts, similar to the above for VM player but didn't solve the problem. In addition when I tried to type in my password to try one or two commands I got Authentication error (I used su)

Any help would be appreciated (I am a novice or less than for virtual machines, vm player and linus)

Thanks

Terry

15. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

You need to remove PulseAudio in Ubuntu(ALSA should take over, otherwise install it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.