Virtual Desktop Managers

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by BrysonB, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrysonB

BrysonB Registered Member

One thing I really liked in my brief experience with Linux was the virtual desktops feature. I've been looking at Windows desktop managers and would appreciate input from users. I have been looking at Virtual Dimension, Dexpot, and Vista/XP Virtual Desktop Manager. I'm looking for stability and ease of use. I tried VirtuaWin and got BSOD'd numerous times. Number of desktops is not important as I'm thinking of using only 4 or 5. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with any of these apps? Any others I should look into? See my SIG for my setup. Thanks in advance.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

VirtualWin works fine on my XPx64 here.

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Microsoft has a very simple one Deskman.exe in their PowerToys for Windows XP.

A part from that there's a few here with reviews. Yet anOther Desktop Manager 3D I've tried and of course 3d - 1.4 was the last free version.

- work wise I find them very productive.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There was a great one called Vern here: http://oneguycoding.com/

But it really works best on Win2k. He tried to adapt it to XP in 3.6i in 2004, but it did have a few glitches if I remember right.

5. BrysonB

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I am trying Dexpot 1.4 at the moment. The install is quick and requires no reboot. It seems light on resources and switching between windows is quick and seamless. As with all good virtual managers, each window is wallpaper and screen saver independent. It is easy to configure and understand. You can choose to start it with Windows or invoke it when needed. You can practically run it out the box or you can tweak it to your heart's content. So far, I really like this product. It seems to be well written and implemented. It is working well with all my security apps and seems very stable. It is also still being actively developed.

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

A completely new field for me-thanks :thumb:

Also trying Dexpot-works absolutely flawlessly-rather amazing!

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yod3d is great.
    very easy to change between desktops
    shame about memory usage thou. around 120mb

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  8. BrysonB

Glad you're enjoying Dexpot. I've been using it for almost a month now and it is still performing without a hitch. I thought about trying some of the 3D managers, but although I DO have fun with several desktops, I mainly want productivity and not eye-candy. That said, I might just fire up Returnil and give yod3d a try just for the heck of it. I really doubt though that I will change from Dexpot any time soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.