VIPRE

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by max2, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max2

max2 Registered Member

Is this virus scanner or full security suite any good please? I always liked that it was supposedly to use so little resources but does it still have a great detection rate ?

I was thinking of getting the lifetime one but only if I really need a virus scanner or the full security suite when using Sandboxie.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

You would need to try it out for a few days and see what you think. Suites and scanners work differently on different computers. Personally I always felt like Sunbelt products were in a perpetual beta mode as they always have some bug or another that takes forever to address. I kinda doubt GFI has done anything to remedy that issue. Some people like the program though.

3. max2

max2 Registered Member

Thank you. I like it because of the low resource usage and the lifetime liceases they offer. Hate that most virus scanners, ala, Bitdefender, only offer yearly protection licenses. I prefer my software to last forever.

I know Bitdefender is the best but after the year is up then it is full price unless they have the deal again which no one knows for sure. I bet it uses a lot more resources too. Than again maybe I am wrong. Sorry for going all off topic.

My point is why do not all virus scanners have a lifetime license ?

4. enemyofarsenic

enemyofarsenic Registered Member

Vipre is "pc lifetime" not lifetime as in forever. If your pc goes down, your license is gone. I think you're allowed 1 reactivation of the license after a reinstall on the same pc.

5. max2

max2 Registered Member

Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure how I missed that.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm using Vipre antivirus on two XP machines, and it works perfectly with Sandboxie (Avira for example doesn't install with Sandboxie on my Vista machine)). I also think that with Sandboxie it is not really necessary to have the whole Vipre suite.

As for its effectiveness it has good detection results here:
    http://malwareresearchgroup.com/malware-tests/flash-test-results/

You say Bitdefender is the best... There are many good antivirus applications which all have positive and negative aspects in relation to user's activity and specific machines.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  7. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Wasn't your point VIPRE's effectiveness?
    Well, I used to support it almost like a fanboy, but after they switched management, I don't think VIPRE will get any better. It's detection rate is very high, and their MX-V technology (heuristics) is also very effective against zero day. It does have a small system impact, even the FW version. It's a simple AV, they removed a bunch of extras that used to make it more tweakable.
    So, VIPRE will deliver high protection with low system impact, but it's not recommended if you are looking for a tweakeable and more granular configurable solution.

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I second you.
    @max2: But I still use it in one of my XP x64 machine. Its working fine here. You might have a look in this thread.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1978690
    This free antivirus uses Vipre engine. Try out its system impact on your system.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.