VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware is now released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I agree its only been on my rig two days but very stable indeed and very light.I might add the scan speed is darn good.What a nice suprise from sunbelt.:thumb:

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

your welcome:thumb:

3. mksql

mksql Registered Member

It is giving me some resource issues on an XP system with 512MB of RAM. An interesting test is to have Active Protection set on, and the default level, then access the VIPRE install file itself.

Upon scanning CPU funs high, but virtual memory usage increases dramatically. On a PC with 512MB of RAM, paging to disk renders the system unresponsive for a long time. With 1GB of RAM, it is not as noticable, but monitoring the process still shows significant VM usage.

At idle, the software seems to use low memory, but during on access scans, it may be a different case. Can anyone use my test example and see if they observe similar behavior?

4. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Not sure what you mean exactly on your on access of the vipre install file itself. Do you mean just highlighting it in explorer? I get a small delay opening a directory with alot of .exe files in it but nothing that hasn't already been discussed I think. As for the my system resources during a scan, my cpu goes from around 2% idle to 12% during a scan and memory goes up from around 30% idle to 31% during a scan. Amazing to me it can actually run this light and I can use the system without even feeling any affects from the scan process. I am really happy so far with Vipre's scan being so light. As for the directory access, well I am hoping this will get more optimized as Vipre progresses over time.

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

May it runs like this one ?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=209636

On a serious note Ill wait for some tests to come out before trialing this one. something just don't seem right, kind of reminds me of the statement "if it looks to good to be True. it probably is." :blink: (Example look at rising everyone loved it tell the tests came out then I seen more sig's change in a 24 hour period then I seen new posts in a week) :cautious:

Also if you ever want to not feel the "effect" of having a AV scanning you can always turn its process to low priority in the task manager. anything with Normal or above will get CPU before it does. :D

6. Atomic_Ed

Ha ha that was a funny thread hadn't seen it before.

I understand your wanting to wait for test data first before jumping in, of course I was willing to give it a shot and jump in early. I admire your unbiased attitude while you wait in comparison to some others. I am fairly confident Vipre will evolve quickly and turn out to be a winner. However only time will tell.

I do not have Vipre set to low priority and still it uses almost nothing in the way of resources and scans complete in lightening fast time. I am so far very impressed.

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I'll test it on my test bed computer once some tests come out. looks promising and if its really light on resources with decent detection, it could have a home at some of my customers house's that want something different then the norm I offer. only time will tell as you said we shall see what comes of it. :)

8. Atomic_Ed

What do you anticipate might be the first tests we may see to include Vipre? Something like AV Comparatives would be great but at this point I would just like to see how it does.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

'

AV-Corp is on the 15th of this month. I'm hoping it gets tested this time around.

10. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

But it can be tested only in a stand alone report, the antiviruses in comparatives must be the same in a year.

11. mksql

mksql Registered Member

Not just highlighting, but right-clicking on the installer .exe seems to initiate a scan, before any selections are made in the pop-up window. I have opened a support case with Sunbelt, and will share the results here.

12. Atomic_Ed

Thanks for explaining, looking forward to your sharing the outcome with us.

13. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

i think vipre needs to improve more.

14. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I recently tried VIPRE, and I can say I had a positive trial with it. It ran like butter on my system (1 gig of memory, XP SP3) and produced no FPs.

15. Atomic_Ed

Can you elaborate a little more on why you feel it needs more improvement? Every product in the world can always use improvements, especially something brand new on the market, but assuming that is taken into consideration with Vipre, I would like to know your thoughts on why at this stage you think it needs improvement.

16. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Allow me a hijack.

What I like to see is more choices with the popups. When a new program is started the only choices are "allow" or "block". Like to see "allow" or "disallow for just this session".

Also, I'm giving now "allow" permissions to programs like IE and Opera. Why not scan a system during installation of Vipre and put well known programs automatically in the "always allowed" area.

17. Atomic_Ed

Those sound like some good suggestions. Have you conveyed them to Sunbelt? Good input from people using the software offering suggestions like this have a good chance of making a good program even better.

18. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Yes, I have.

19. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I think Vipre was very good. It detected bifrose reg entries after I used Combofix.
    I tested three times and the bifrose reg entries only appear after using Combofix.
    It didn't cause any issues or crashes. I think it is a keeper for the arsenal.

20. Atomic_Ed

Wow thats really good to hear that Vipre was a good experience for you and detected the bifrose entries. I am also optomistic about this new program and running it myself now. Don't know if you know this but I started another thread on Vipre to help with impressions on the product for those of us actually running it. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=219763 You may want to check that area too and help contribute more of your impressions after running it. Every little bit helps.

21. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I agree. :thumb:

The next friend who wants a 'very easy' to use AV/AS, for the price, I'll be telling them to give this a go.

22. Atomic_Ed

Thats great to hear another satified person who tried it. You might also want to mention whenever you suggest it, how incredibly light it is on resources too. That part amazes me.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, vista x64 did not work out for me, infact... its a piece of crap!
    i recommend it to nobody, nothing works on it.

so ive reverted back to my trusty drweb (already) :)

VIPRE is a good antivirus, and im still glad i purchased!

I didnt notice any bugs in my usage and ive got a nice long licence for it should i need another AV.

keep up the work!

24. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I see but last I checked this was about Viper (Let the sarcasm begin.) :argh:

25. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

So far everythingh is working for me on vista 64, have no regrets but i did have to turn of uac though wich is not a problem for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.