VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware is now released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

time to try :D

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    i think the concept is great.
    the product does work very well.
    i only have two issues which are easily solveable.
    it has an awesome name and shortcut on the desktop. but why do the tray icons look so rubbish? its a minor issue and shoudnt deter people from a very decent product.
    lanching programs such as process explorer a known product from microsoft generates a few prompts.
    overall a fantastic product.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic post removed. Stay on topic please.

5. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I'm currently testing VIPRE and yes, the tray icon doesn't look as well as the desktop icon. In fact, it's the first thing I've noticed.

Other than that, it is indeed a fantastic product.

6. Ro4dRuNn3r

Ro4dRuNn3r Guest

Yap, nice program, but, open a directory with many *.exe files..... :doubt:

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, I'm waiting for some comparatives review ... (not necessarily
    av-comparatives).

I presume that the software doesn't have something that protects you from bad sites, like the SiteAdvisor, the similar thing from Zonealarm, or the Spy Sweepers communications shield ?

I also wonder how they got that malware (in particular virus and trojan) database, purchased or improvised ? Old viruses can still be dangerous.

8. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Press/Releases/?id=237

9. Malcontent

Sunbelt Software Announces Industry's First Unlimited Home Site License for Consumer

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS150968 01-Apr-2008 MW20080401

-Edited for clarity on home license and single yearly license.-

Old news but VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware will come with an unlimited home site License. The unlimited home license will cost $49.95. A single yearly license will cost $29.95.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

On their web site it states that a single yearly subscription will cost $29.95

New! Unlimited Home Site License
    Uniquely, VIPRE is the first security product to provide a "home site license". For an annual subscription price of $49.95, all the PCs in your house can be protected with a single site license. A single user annual subscription is $29.95. All annual subscriptions include one year of threat definition updates, software upgrades, and live US-based toll-free technical support.

11. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Hi BigC I was wondering if you had personally tested this product out yet? I know I have appreciated your input over the past few years and was interested in this when I read about it here in the threads but being so new I am skeptical. As I am still running Mcafee (and happy thus far the past few years) I of course wanted to bolster that with an additional AS product and no longer want to purchase spysweeper as I feel it has really went south and don't want the headaches anymore. However as this new Vipre has also AV in it, I am wondering of conflicts with Mcafee. Anyway any info from your expert knowledge is appreciated.

Regards,

Atomic_Ed

12. Dave2609

Dave2609 Registered Member

Yes the icon does not look nice, but also they do not have a lot setting for the Email Protection you can just try it off or on and change the ports, Can't choose to scan income and out going mail or just income mail etc etc.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I particularly like the option to upgrade from Counterspy to VIPRE for and Additional $9.95 as I currently have a 2 year subscription to Counterspy.

~off topic verbage removed....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  14. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I loaded up the new VIPRE & sunbelt new firewall as it's vista now. Now on VIPRE the positive is the lightest I have every seen & I have a few programs that will tell me impact from an AV, I'm glad to report none I mean it has 0 impact on this program. Also very light in resorces, very minimal. I don't get tied up over # of processes, I look for the 2 criteria mentioned above. I ran a full scan on about 65 gig & it took an hour found weather bug that has never been installed but called it a minor risk & ok'ed it & found 25 tracking cookies but no false positives & I have a game that some other 'Big' brand AV's always warn that the exe is a trojan & is incorrect and I have to use exclusions. This is very good. However on boot up this morning it took about an extra minute to scan opening files & held the wireless from connecting. My over opinion is this has promise speed up the start up scane (maybe a registry thing) and I think this AV has potential, very good start...

15. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have not tried this product yet. I am running mcafee at this time also and am satified with it as I have used McAfee off and on since back when it came on floppy disc. Truthfully I don't need an antivirus with a bagillion modules in it. I am still satisfied with an AV and an FW and a hardware firewall. I might try Vipre in the future but have no plans to do so at this time.

bigc

16. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

I think it is a valiant first attempt but there are quite a few things which could be improved at first glance. I am writing up a report with suggestions/bugs that I will forward on to Alex Eckelberry once I have completed my testing.

Very "noob friendly" at first glance and doesn't bother the user on default settings.

17. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Running perfect here.

18. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

How is the detection?
    And which engine does it use?
    Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  19. ambient_88

I'm not sure about detection. We'll have to wait for reviews.

VIPRE uses Sunbelt's own in-house engine that was developed from the ground up. It was very light when I tried it, so the "latest technologies" they've incorporated seems to be working. ;)

20. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Alright, thanks!
    Does it have any *unique* feature of its own?

21. ambient_88

Unique feature... if you consider the history cleaner and secure file eraser, then yes. Otherwise, it's the same as other AVs.

22. Malcontent

Renewal Price - No discount

I contacted Sunbelt support and asked about the cost to renew a 1 year, single user license. They responded that it would cost $29.95 to renew for another year for a single user license. No discount. :(

I hope this will change.

23. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Re: Renewal Price - No discount

I hear that.

Discounts should be given for the 2nd and later yrs.
    A few other av's should read this also, including the one I presently using. :D

24. DarkButterfly

DarkButterfly Registered Member

I've been testing VIPRE since Beta 3 and I can say it is light on resources. But, thats about the only thing in favor.

When accessing Explorer and any folder that may contain alot of files, and special large ones, it will take too much time for the system to turn stable again.

The updates are too large. They (Sunbelt) say the updates are "Small, regular definition updates greatly reduce update downloading time", but they aren't. They're lying about it.

Before you can use it, you need to update after installing, otherwise Active Protection won't activate.

In their forum we can see this (VIPRE section Downloads): "Following installation VIPRE 3 will prompt you to either enter a registration key or start a 30 day trial period for the software. Please use the following key to activate the product:"

It is a 15-day trial, not 30. Aren't they aware of what they give to people?

In my tests system I also got CMF (Comodo Memory Firewall) and somehow VIPRE, either messed with it or with command line. I just know that after testing VIPRE, I could no longer close the command line by writing exit. I only could close command line with the mouse by pressing the X.

To be able to close the command line by writing exit, I had to add cmd.exe to CMF exclusion list.

(In case someone asks if CMF wasnt the one doing this, I shall say that I had CMF installed since it exists and cmd line always worked fine.)

More issues with the PC Explorer feature and Secure File Eraser.

I also dont think that it has a single file scanning feature, yet.

Honestly, they bring nothing new (not even the fact that it is light, for other antivirus are as lighter or lighter - NOD32), except that its their own engine.

And there are better existing alternatives to VIPRE. I'm done testing VIPRE.

25. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

It's not even VB100 certified

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.