Vipre 2015 Beta Release

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Apr 24, 2014.

1. bigwrench9

bigwrench9 Registered Member

Yes.....Hopefully. Was great in its day.

2. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Custom Scan: 2 hours & 22 minutes...

3. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Does a consecutive full scan or a consecutive custom scan covering an already scanned section take shorter?

4. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! phalanaxus! The Custom Scan ArchiveX...ran coincides almost to the minute with my custom scan times. Now in regards to your query...that's where cacheing or Digital Fingerprinting needs to be introduced into Vipre...at the moment on my system it isn't any shorter. If you need to scan in depth with Vipre I would recommend at the moment to using Custom Scan on a permanent basis. Sincerely...Securon

5. phalanaxus

Thx for the reply. I was wondering whether it had some sort of fingerprinting but it seems not.

6. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

It seems not...

7. NickHallin

NickHallin Registered Member

Actually, VIPRE does include a Rapid Scan feature which uses caching to speed up scan times. After you've run at least one scan with this feature enabled, any additional scans should be much shorter. The cache is not created until a scan is run with this feature enabled, however, so you won't see the speed difference until the second scan with the feature turned on.

8. phalanaxus

Are you aware of any particular reason for it not being enabled by default ?

9. NickHallin

NickHallin Registered Member

When scanning with the feature on, any files that had already been scanned and added to the cache would not be scanned again unless the feature is turned off for a scan. If detections are added for any files that might have previously been scanned, they wouldn't be detected with the feature enabled. If using Rapid Scan, I would suggest at least occasionally running a scan with the feature disabled.

10. Snip

Snip Registered Member

okay, 5 and 1/2 hours and the scan is still going? It is not stalled I can see the files changing but sheesh. longest scan ever and it has said it was 99% done 3 hours ago.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yup lol i did a scan on a drive that had about 89gb worth of data and it took almost over 7 hours?? even avira as slow as it scans doesnt take nearly that long. otherwise its not bad. detection so far is mid class for me.

12. Securon

Good Evening! The scan issue has been an issue with Vipre ever since it's introduction with Sunbelt a Decade Ago. Why they can't introduce an effective Cacheing or Digital Fingerprinting feature to reduce scan times...is a mystery. But most important is that Vipre improve it's Detection Rates...it placed very poorly in recent A/V Test and A/V Comparatives Testing...until then I'll place Vipre in Suspended Silence...in my Apps Arsenal. Sincerely...Securon

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have been a long time tester of the betas...

Just got the latest AV version, earlier today.

ScreenShot_Vipre_v8.0.2.30 Beta_37.gif ScreenShot_Vipre_v8.0.2.30 Beta_38.gif ScreenShot_Vipre_v8.0.2.30 Beta_39.gif ScreenShot_Vipre_v8.0.2.30 Beta_40.gif

14. Securon

Good Afternoon! In the newest version of Vipre if you check Rapid scan...after the initial scan...the Scan times are dramatically reduced. I re-installed Vipre last week...and at Long Last the Cacheing...is now Operable. Sincerely...Securon

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Has VIPRE participated in any meaningful tests lately ?

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

17. anon

anon Registered Member

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just installed the new version. I was impressed that during the install it wanted me to uninstall Malwarebytes due to potential compatability problems, but gave me the option to continue installing without uninstalling it. However things went downhill from there sadly. VIPRE was at times using 98% CPU use - I really could not believe it could be so high, but I witnessed it several times. Threats were being automatically quarrantined, even though I had configured VIPRE to not act automatically. I was being prompted when a threat was found, but the popup would not show the name of suspicious file (I had to manually go to the quarrantine to see that). The popup gave me option to get more information - which just took me a webpage describing the found threat.

Perhaps in time, the excessive CPU would start to reduce. However I'm not going to find out as I just uninstalled VIPRE. The combination of ridiculously high CPU use and not not prompting for action when a threat is found are more than enough reasons for me to ditch it.

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This is not the first time I'd had major performance issues with VIPRE. I remember a number of years ago when it was causing significant slowdowns while keeping CPU use at an absolute minimum - so it must have been due to excessive disk use. But, to be fair performance didn't suffer too drastically when I was using the VIPRE powered Ad-Aware.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.