"View workgroup computers" Error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stueycaster, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

When I reboot the computer with ESS while the other computer is running the view workgroup link starts working every time. The other computer has EAV. Then when the other computer is shut down the link fails again. This might be what is happening with yours. It might work when you reboot.

2. Jacqui D

Jacqui D Registered Member

I have discovered that by unchecking and rechecking the Eset Firewall Port in my "Local Area Connections Properties" that I am able to view my workgroup computers always, regardless of whether the other workgroup computers are on or off. My concern is that I may have effectively disabled the firewall. That said, I seem to still get ESS ask permission for outbound connections etc., so maybe it is still functioning? Also when I re-check this option I get asked to install some software, as stated above, which I have elected to not install.

This is a link to the appropriate dialogue with the eset re-enabled, but without installing the software:
    http://i.pbase.com/o3/78/186978/1/89532755.P5FlZ2EO.eset.jpg (you may have to copy/paste the link to see this image with some browsers. http://i.pbase.com/o3/78/186978/1/89532755.P5FlZ2EO.eset.jpg)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  3. stueycaster

I tried what you did and when I got the message about the installation it looked to me like it was important. I would think that it was installed before it was unchecked. I allowed it to install it. I've installed other software that called up the windows logo thing. I've never had any adverse effects that I noticed. My HP Printer called up a bunch of them.

You probably could wait for word from someone more knowledgable than me if you like. I just thought I'd tell you how I feel about it. I really think that thing needs to be installed.

4. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

Any chance of some input from ESET regarding a possible update to ESS fixing this problem. My 30 day trial is running out and if this problem is resolved when it does I would install ESS on all my computers at that time. Any news?

5. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

6. Palombaro

Be careful when you accuse somebody of lying. Your 30 day trial starts from the day you first install ESS on your computer. Subsequent fresh installs change absolutely nothing. If it were any other way all we would have to do when our annual subscription was running out would be to uninstall, remove all obvious registry keys and folders and then reinstall and hey presto we have another year gratis. If only it were so. Think about it KC_ !!
    An apology would be welcome

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  7. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

8. Palombaro

9. Jacqui D

Thanks for your advice. It certainly looks like it is something that needs to be installed, however the firewall seems to be working OK and I have total access to my workgroup computers by keeping that thing uninstalled. I am also behind a router with NAT/SPI/firewall etc. and until I got ESS I only had NOD32 antivirus and was running with the Windows firewall only.

Hopefully this matter will be resolved soon.

Again, many thanks for your input.

10. stueycaster

I hate to bring this up again but it didn't get fixed with version 3.0.621. It's still doing what it has always done.

When I turn off the other computer then restart it breaks the "View workgroup computers" link in "My Network Places". I get this Error Message:

"Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

Then if I restart this computer with the other one running it starts working again.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If possible, could you try installing a different network card to see if it's releated somehow to its drivers? Maybe a partial interference occurs when ESS drivers are installed, but that's just a hunch.

12. K1LL3M

K1LL3M Registered Member

I see the same behaviour.

Networking works perfectly for about 30mins after a reboot. If I try to access the home network after this it is inaccessible.

13. Palombaro

If the problem is widespread it is very unlikely to be the fault of one particular network card. The problem is in the software.

14. stueycaster

Are all of us who are having this problem using the same Lan card? I guess that could be. I have an onboard Lan:

• Realtek® 8110S Dual layout
    - Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC and PHY in one chip.
    - Supports 10, 100Mb/s and Gb/s

If all the others have this then it's probably the problem. MSI is really bad about their software. I've bought my last MSI component because of it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  15. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

at first i thought that aswel, but since i re-installed windows xp in november i havnt had the problem since. and thats the same OS/same hardware/same drivers.

give it a go, worked here

16. stueycaster

I'm thinking about doing that. The thing is I just did that a few months back. It wasn't because of ESS. It was because of my mistake with installing a second operating system on my computer. It didn't fix it back then but ESS was still in the beta stage.

The reason why I'm considering it is because this morning I uninstalled and reinstalled ESS 3 or 4 times. I did this because I have the "No System Tray Menu" thing too. I tried installers that I got from a couple different download pages. Now the interactive firewall has stopped asking about new application access. It's just allowing everything. I checked the controls and the applications are not set up to allow. I guess it's probably because of the registry. I could run a registry cleaner but I don't trust them. I used one in the past and it killed shortcuts to some of my System and Administrative Tools. I have version 2.7 installed now.

Boy do I hate the thought of reinstalling Windows again. Installing the updates, drivers and third party apps plus getting all the settings right takes a long time. The good thing is that it runs really sweet for quite a while afterward.

17. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

(;.)) Stuey, I know what you mean.

What I did was getting me TrueImage and make a ground system image - that way I only need to get windows updates and than the apps missing :)-))

Ruben

18. stueycaster

I forgot to mention something above. The fact that if I do reinstall and if it doesn't take care of it then I'm going to be ripping mad.

19. stueycaster

Boy do I feel like an idiot. I just discovered that even with Version 2.7 installed my "View workgroup computers" link fails when I turn off the other computer then turn it back on. Obviously it's not caused by ESS. I am sorry ESET.

The reason it always looked like it was working with Version 2.7 was because I always tried it after restarting this computer with the other one turned on. It always works when I do that.

Man I can't believe it. All these months I have been driving the good folks at ESET crazy over this and it isn't even their fault. I guess it's a Windows problem. Probably I don't have the network set up right.

Please accept my sincere apologies ESET.

20. patch

patch Registered Member

Partly agree.
    I think Microsoft's implementation on XP is fragile, but probably not the only cause of the problems.

Have been having a similar problem on LG P1 pro running XP for awhile. Seems to be made worse by simultaneously connecting cable and wireless (get name already registered error at times).

View work group computers stopped working on a second XP desktop machine recently (Intel PRO/100 VE Network connection). Seemed to correspond to upgrading to ESS. Makes me wonder about TCP stack corruption or similar.

Three other windows 2000 machines have no problems
    Linked by billion 7402vgp router with latest firmware 5.52h1

stueycaster if you find a way of getting it working without a fresh XP install, let us / me know. I really don't want to go through all that.

21. Palombaro

My experience is not the same as yours Stueycaster. Once all ESET products are uninstalled from all computers on the network the problem disappears and does not return i.e at least for me it is an ESET specific problem. Neither do I think it is a question of network cards. I have three computers on my network, 1 PC and two laptops . The PC is connected to the router by Ethernet cable, the two laptops by wifi but with different LAN cards. It doesn't matter which combination of the computers are on and connected to the network with ESS the problem remains. Remove ESS and the problem evaporates and does not return.
    Though KC 's problems were solved by a reinstall of Windows I personally would not be too sure that that is the universal solution to the problem. Only time will tell but I am sceptical .
    My hunch is that it is a ESS software problem. It is a pity because ESET products are always very good but they almost seem to be in denial about this problem.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  22. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

Add me to the list of unhappy networkers here. My configuration is just about the same as others who are having problems and I can't contribute any insights I'm afraid.

Back to v2.7. Problems disappear.

23. Jacqui D

Please add me to the list of networkers still unable to connect to My Workgroup Computers. I also notice an error 3019 in the event viewer which seems to be connected to this issue. According to MS (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=315244) this has something to do with loopback adapter using TCP/IP. The only workaround that works solidly for me is to uncheck the "Eset Personal Firewall" under the properties of my Local Area Connection and then recheck the option and opt to not install the ESET unsigned software.

I am on Win XP x64 / Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx 10/100/1GB adapter.

Jacqui

24. stueycaster

I think I'm driving myself crazy over this crap. When I tested the workgroup link with 2.7 installed I forgot to allow time for it to show back up on the network. It's working fine with 2.7 installed. Obviously ESS is still the culprit. Sorry about the above post. It was wrong.

25. stueycaster

Bear with me guys. I've found that I get too freaked out if something isn't working right on my computer. I need to lighten up a little. Sorry about the flip flopping. Like I said "freaked out".

One good thing came from this. I found that my network is set up right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.