Video Encoder

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by khanyash, Sep 16, 2014.

1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Any free good video encoder that has join multiple video feature & constant quality feature to encode?

Currently I use Vidcoder that has constant quality feature by default set to 20. I like this as I find the encoded quality identical to the original with good file size compared to the original i.e not very big. But join multiple video is not there in Vidcoder.

I have few movies that were downloaded as playlists. They are in 15-17 parts. All are 640*480 & audio properties & duration are same except 3-4 movies last part have less duration, all parts have different bitrate.
    I tried many free multiple video joiner without encode but all gave probs i.e at few places in the video green screen or gibberish video.

I know re-encode will work. I tried Freemake Video Converter & worked. But didn't like the encode quality, had selected "same as source".

So I am looking for a free good encoder that has video joiner & constant quality feature.
    Constant Quality is also called Constant Rate Factor/CRF, right?

So any free good video encoder that has join multiple video feature & constant quality feature to encode?

2. khanyash

OK, I tried & worked.

I first encoded the videos with Vidcoder & then joined them with Avidemux & it worked.

3. guest

guest Guest

Remember: MKVToolnix can be used as well.

As for your original question if you still need an answer for that, XviD4PSP 5 Official build has those two features but it requires .NET 3.5 and AviSynth to also be installed.

4. khanyash

I like portable ones.

I know MKVToolnix can be used to join video files. Do you mean MKVToolnix can encode too? If Yes, is it easy & how?

In my other thread you recommended VidCoder & Xmedia Recode. I like VidCoder & using it.

Now I am trying Xmedia Recode too.
    Few queries....
    By default it is set to average bitrate. If I set it to Constant Quality 20, do I need to change any other options?
    In audio by default it is set to average. The only other option is Constant Quantizer, what is this & is it better than average? If I set to CQ, do I need to change any other options?

Is it OK to run 2 portable encoders at the same time doing the job?

5. guest

guest Guest

Never really tried to encode videos with MKVToolnix, I only used it to join videos so can't say anything about encoding.

What other options in XMedia Recode? You meant Preset, Profile, etc? That is up to you, each settings does its own job.

About the constant quantizer option in audio encoding, I'm not entirely sure since not much info I can get, constant quantizer option rarely alluded in audio encodings, but it seems to work just the same. So I guess this wiki, albeit explaining about x264's constant quantizer, should still be relevant:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MeGUI/FAQ#What.27s_the_difference_between_Constant_Quantizer_and_Constant_Quality.3F

In a nutshell, it is often considered as the less efficient form of constant quality/constant rate factor mode. You might be able to treat it as CRF mode in the video encoding settings.

If you are talking about doing multiple encoding tasks at the same time, it entirely depends on your computer's processing power.

6. khanyash

Thanxx for all the infos.

If any further queries, will post here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.