VHD Sandboxing - boom or bust?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Sully, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hmm. I have been using the command bcdedit to /copy my {default} or {current} bcd, and then taking that {GUID} that is returned and setting it to be a file based entry. Maybe that is where the issue lies.

I am very familiar with unlocker, but have not used it since it tried to put a toolbar on my machine... :( I will try it again though. I have used bootsect /nt60 to put a customized grub grldr in my main OS drive (which gives invisible grub option and if not 'esc' keyed, goes straight into standard bcd boot), I don't think that would be the issue, but till now I had not thought about it. Maybe it is due to having grldr as the real loader... the price one pays for being a nerd ;)

I will try some of this stuff and see what happens. You wouldn't happen to know a command that I can try to use that will remove the grldr as the loader and reset default loader would you? Maybe I will get rid of that aspect for this purpose. I will reimage the machine later if it works.

Thanks for taking the time to give advice!

Sul.

2. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

I have zero experience with grub4dos actually. I'm pretty sure the bootsect command I gave should clear the MBR, so if you are loading first with another bootloader you won't anymore. If the grub4dos is just a BCD option, it shouldn't matter AFAIK.

As far as unlocker.. yeah, I hate when companies try to bundle a toolbar. The last installer I used of theirs gave me a choice though.. Even directx tries to bundle the bing toolbar, so I don't even think anything of it anymore. Everyone does it nowadays.

I've not had much luck using the native bcdedit tool to do anything advanced. I find it very non-user friendly. That simple bcdboot command is all I mastered, and if I want to do anything more complicated I just use EasyBCD. It usually gets the job done, and I can still see the full BCD entries being made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.