very simple security help

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by spaceage, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaceage

spaceage Registered Member

Hello, I haven't posted on this board or researched computer security in a long time but was hoping to get some general and basic advice. I use and like free avast av along with windows firewall, malwarebytes and superantispyware.

I plan on installing spyware blaster as well and often run firefox sandboxed.

What else am I missing or is this OK? I tried running comodo firewall a few years ago and discovered that I'm a bit too technically challenged such complicated firewalls. o_O Is the above along with windows firewall safe enough?

I want to keep it simple and free.

Thanks for any advice.

2. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Drop Super Anti-spyware, it's not what it used to be. Get malwarebytes antimalware pro and run it along with Avast, Zero vulnerability exploit shield and EMET. Great set up for people who don't know much about computers. My parent's are running it.

Alternative solution is Sandboxie and Avast. Sandboxie will require a little more knowledge to set things up but it's not too bad.

3. spaceage

OK Thanks. I do run sandboxie unless I want to download something. I haven't figured out how to retrieve it otherwise.

What about spywareblaster?

Would your suggestions change if I had windows 8? I'm thinking about a new computer with windows 8.

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Ditch Spywareblaster.
    Are you using the free or paid version of sandboxie?
    Recovering things are easy. Find your sandbox, go into setting and look for Immediate recovery. Then make sure it's ticked.
    Other than sandboxie, you could install Comodo Internet security. Its a good all around suite.
    I would definitely get yourself a free AV, Avast, Avira, AVG, panda cloud, just to name a few.
    Zero Exploit shield is a good thing to have as well.
    Add a DNS filter like Norton or OpenDNS.
    So its either sandboxie, AV, zero exploit and a DNS filter or Comodo, zero exploit and a DNS filter. Either one of these will keep you out of trouble. Plus its all free.

5. spaceage

Looks like zero vulnerability exploit shield is good. I think I'll download it. Do I need to uninstall malwaybytes and superantispyware first? Can they run along with it?

In my brief research I read that there may be an issue with exploit shield and sandboxie.

Any input on this?

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm not sure I'd run both Exploitshield and EMET. I'd just pick one, maybe Exploitshield since you won't have to worry about whether software supports the features of EMET or causes conflicts. In my opinion Avast and MBAM Pro alone will do just fine (enable website blocking). If Sandboxie is decided on, try to just pay for it. I can't tell you how many times I used to want to have an extra program running sandboxed only to be told I can't. Returnil may be be a good option as there aren't any restrictions that can't be worked around in the free version, and it covers the whole system instead of applications.

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Avast or Bitdefender + Win Firewall + MBAM + Hitman Pro + Norton DNS or Comodo DNS + Sandboxie + Imaging software like Macrium Reflect or Keriver 1-Click Restore

The setup is light, fast and free. ;):thumb:

9. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

What OS do you use right now? That's pretty important to know when deciding whether or not the opinion would vary compared to you using Windows 8. If you're using 7 already, then not much if at all. However if you're on XP, my opinion would vary greatly if you switched to 8.

What modules of Avast do you use?

You say you plan on just using the Windows FW. Do you plan on using outbound filtering at all? I wonder because I see you considered Comodo FW too complicating. Did that make you decide to abandon outbound filtering altogether, or just search for a simpler way to implement it? Because if the latter is true, Windows FW is even more complicated when it comes to outbound filtering.

If any event, I agree with ditching both Spyware Blaster & SAS. But those other questions would help people serve you much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.