very likely stupid CA EZ-antivirus question.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Leoooooo, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoooooo

Leoooooo Registered Member

Hi, this is very likely quite a stupid question, but here goes...

My computer has been restarting after a while every time I turn it on. Last night I reported the problem to Microsoft, which said this:
    'This problem was caused by eTrust Antivirus, which was created by Computer Associates International, Inc.'. A 2004 version was indeed present. Thus I removed it from my software. Having done this a screen came up with this message:

'blabla some elements could not be removed ... blablabla'

Now being dumb and ignorant I clicked away the message.

So my question is: What was that message, and was it important?

Thanks for reading this, and I hope someone can help (even if you are s******ing at me, cursing 'nube' or something similar under your breath)...

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi!

that message was just stating that some eTrustAV files/folders were left on your disk after you removed the program, which you can find now manually and delete them. Nothing to be worried about ;)

3. Macstorm

By the way, you might want to check you pc for viruses before installing another resident AV program on your computer.
    Try this free tool first http://www.freedrweb.com/

4. Leoooooo

Dude, that's some fast reply!
    I hope you are right, cause when I turned on the computer just now it acted slightly schizophrenic... turned on and off repeatedly for a while.. and then got better, like it needed to warm up or something. So I'll manually find the old EZ-antivirus hubris with search and do as you suggest with the Dr. Web and see what happens when I turn on the demon when I get home tomorrow...

Much thanks! Guys like you rock!
    Cheers,
    Leo

5. Macstorm

No problem, please post back your results.

Remember also to periodically run a good registry cleaner app (i recommend jv16PowerTools) and defragment your disk from time to time to keep your system operating at peak efficiency ;)

6. Leoooooo

Well, Macstorm, I did as suggested and all seems well, but for the annoying discovery that now the Nero burning thing program says "Could Not Perform End Of Disc-At-Once Error", but I suppose that is the stuffing for another forum. In any case thanks a bunch for the help and may your days be happy,
    Leo.

7. Macstorm

Leo, as long as you say that your computer stopped acting strangely you can rest assure I'm very happy :D

FWIW, all of my issues with Nero in the past were solved by simply reinstalling it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.