Version Mismatch

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by octogen, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octogen

octogen Registered Member

First, I would like to commend Jason for producing such a fine tool. Second, I have one issue. Occasionally, when RegDefend starts I get the following message:
    "Version mismatch between GUI and driver. Try rebooting Ghost Security Suite"

What does this mean and how can I remedy it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

It means that there is a difference between the DRIVER and the GUI version. Usually this is caused by either one of these items being updated to a newer version, and the other one didn't update. You could try uninstalling, then reinstalling again, or holding down the SHIFT click while clicking CHECK NOW, to force an update.

3. octogen

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried the method involving shift-clicking the update button since it is easier...so far, so good. Thanks again for the tip and a great application.

4. octogen

The message is back! I tried both of Jason's suggestions, but to no avail.:oops: Anything else I could try? Thanks in advance.

5. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi Octogen,

Could you post the descriptions of 2 files in your Ghost Security Suite directory, providing the size and MD5 hash of them.

gss.exe
    ghostsec.sys

If you don't know how to get the MD5 of a file, install CryptoSuite ( http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=cryptosuite ) then right click on the FILE, go to the CryptoSuite item, Checksum, MD5.

6. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Its not his system. I get the error periodically as well. Fresh formatted HD as well. Happened b4 and after the format. Something wrong with the installer.

Just a suggestion. You should update the main download on your site to the latest version.

7. octogen

for gss.exe: 1,272kB CD2556708C7D47DE61C9A444E3C2DB56

for ghostsec.sys: 25 kB 779FE9626E7E36152D088F60067304CD

Thanks again.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

I only get this error message when using FUS in WinXP.

9. octogen

Okay, I uninstalled Wormguard and Process Guard. I uninstalled and reinstalled RegDefend and I don't get the message anymore. I don't know which interfered; Wormguard or Process Guard...any ideas? Thanks.

10. qazu76

qazu76 Registered Member

I have a similar same issue. Regdefend loads fine on windows startup, but recently when adding/deleting rules Regdefend tends to crash then on restart i get the mismatch error. Im running PG as well, but not Wormguard. Tried uninstall/reinstall with no luck. Also tried forcing an update as suggested here.

11. octogen

FWIW, I reinstalled Process Guard and I have yet to get the error message. I'm thinking perhaps it was Wormguard interfering, but who knows? I may have done something wrong.;) I guess we'll wait and see. Thanks again for everyone's input.

12. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

this isnt a problem with your computer, its a problem with regdefend. its still happens to me occasionally and I just reformatted.

How about a fix?

13. octogen

That's probably true, Kegel. I still get it when I do fast-user-switching as tlu stated. I would be willing to bet the problem is being worked on and will be fixed in the next release. ;)

14. qazu76

qazu76 Registered Member

When are we likely to see a fix for this? Still facing the same problem and when forcing an update (which does not solve the issue), all custom rules are lost.

Feeling very dissatisfied as a paying customer here :thumbd:

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Registered Member

Hi there,
    Was this issue ever resolved? I am trialling regdefend & get the error when I try to RDP to the server.
    I don't have Wormguard, Process Guard etc. Have Ghostwall installed though.
    I would like to resolve it before purchasing. Rebooting a live web server (as the error message suggests) is not something I am keen to do too often!

Thanks

16. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i get the "version mismatch" regdefend-error when i log out of my win xp user account and then log back in to it, or if i log out of my win xp user account and then in to another win xp user account..

i am running the regular regdefend that isn't bundled with appdefend..

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  17. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Hi Kegel and all.

The next release of GSS product was a major rewrite, both in Driver area and Gui area. It is thus very likely that the problem is solved due to the new way the driver is loaded. (However otehr problem may arise and this is why it is in alpha)

I know i may be frustrating to report a problem and not have nay official answer. However Jason is working full time on that driver things to be more stable, start sooner (even before anyone can login), and add some functionality. In that optic it is very unprobable that a fix to the old version is released and devlopment is focused on the next version.

However it this proove to be a major issue and Jason judge next beta will be too far away to be profitable, this migth get fixed. Have any of you a protocol on how perfectly reproduct the problem ?

@Kegel, after having it reformat, have you install other *full time monitoring* or driver related application ? I know it does not seam evident at first but have you also install cd emulator(alcohol etc) that use kernel-based(rootkit-like) thecnology to hide itself ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.