Version 4.0.424 blocks access to the internet

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by PaulWilliams, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulWilliams

PaulWilliams Registered Member

I had the same problem with the version 3.XX, tried KB Solutions ID: SOLN2217, but still the same problem. Decided to uninstall version 3 and install the latest Version 4.0.424. Same problem. I must uninstall NOD32 to get Internet access, and ESET will not respond to my support email.

This is a bad situation, and I'm referring to poor support (no support) from ESET even though I have a purchased license.

Is ESET a garage shop operation? The product use to work for me.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that you have a firewall installed which blocks Internet access for ekrn.exe ? Does disabling HTTP scanning in the setup make a difference?

3. PaulWilliams

PaulWilliams Registered Member

Hello Marcos,

Thank you for your suggestion. I disabled HTTP scanning and IE worked, but Outlook didn't. However, disabling HTTP scanning defeats the purpose of the product, and I know something unaware to me changed to start all this. With that thought in mind I did a complete NOD32 scan, and nothing found. Then I tried running regedit to take a look at some settings, but it wouldn't start (it killed and restarted explorer). After this I realized my computer was infected, and I found this malware:

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/10/fake-sysaudiosys-causes-searchengine.html

I successfully removed it, and restored NOD32 to the default settings. Now it works.

4. TWaz

TWaz Registered Member

I had a similar issue with NOD32 but I had just purchased it and was never able to connect to the internet with it.

After reading this (and several frustrating days) I tried to run regedit but it wouldn't run.

I restored to an earlier restore point and ran a Malware removal program which found several trojans.

Internet is working now with NOD32 4.0 with default settings.

XP (fully up to date), IE8

TW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.