Verizon Probably Really Regrets Buying Yahoo and AOL

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Dec 12, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Verizon Probably Really Regrets Buying Yahoo and AOL
    December 12, 2018
    https://gizmodo.com/verizon-probably-really-regrets-buying-yahoo-and-aol-1831033242

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

No kidding, Yahoo had a chance to attract quite a lot of visitors, but Yahoo's CEO (what's her name) made a mess of it. Just look at how bloated Yahoo Finance is and just about all of Yahoo sites are badly designed. And they could have stayed a competitor of Google if they invested in search technology and marketed it as privacy friendly.

3. guest

guest Guest

Exclusive: Verizon sought buyers for Yahoo Finance - sources
    July 11, 2019
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...uyers-for-yahoo-finance-sources-idUSKCN1U62AO

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Many years ago I had a My Yahoo! page. It worked quite well. Then one day it got 'improved'. It was never the same. Yahoo! Mail rapidly deteriorated as well. It's almost as if they deliberately tried to ruin themselves. Weird.

5. guest

guest Guest

i remember when Yahoo messenger was the leading messaging app, everybody used it, now it is almost forgotten...

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I remember My Yahoo. And yeah, they didn't hire the best web developers, that's for sure. Both Yahoo Finance and Yahoo Mail should have been a whole lot better, they simply feel too bloated.

7. Daveski17

I haven't used Yahoo! Mail for years. IIRC it was pretty good once.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I still use Yahoo Mail. It's perfectly functional, and the interface is fine. The only issue is, I really don't see why anyone would use this over outlook, gmail or even yandex mail.

I have an AOL mail account too. It's quite bare bones IMHO.

9. Daveski17

I have an AOL mail account as well. It is 'bare bones' and kind of reminds me of my old Yahoo! Mail. AOL seriously needs uBO though lol.

10. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Verizon tries to sell Yahoo and AOL after spending $9 billion on fallen giants

After spending $9 billion combined, Verizon may sell units for $4 billion or so...

'Verizon is exploring a sale of assets including Yahoo and AOL, as the telecommunications giant looks to exit an expensive and unsuccessful bet on digital media,' The Wall Street Journal reported..."

https://arstechnica.com/information...ol-after-spending-9-billion-on-fallen-giants/

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Facebook zuck stole the idea from Yahoo IMO. That's as plain as day and not a peek from Yahoo to contest what Yahoo championed before zuck was ever thought of.

It was the first best IM that also didn't bombard you with mental lunacy useless ads or always out-of-order chronological order of posts/messages. Yahoo should have recognized and contested them. As such Yahoo looks like a joke and got taken by idiots.

On another note Verizon Communications also sold out to Frontier who took over their phone/internet network and that's been downhill ever since too.

12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

13. guest

guest Guest

Verizon Media executives still don’t know if they’ll have jobs as Apollo seeks to close Yahoo deal on Sept. 1
    August 25, 2021
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/25/ver...bt-ahead-of-apollo-acquisition-on-sept-1.html

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

They should buy Myspace next. It would go well with their collection. Or do they already own it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.